Social Media Strategist, Communications & Advocacy
LA, Oakland, NY, DC
M+R is looking for a Social Media Strategist who can apply the tools of social media to help our amazing nonprofit clients reach their communications and advocacy goals. We need a social media know-it-all who wants to help progressive nonprofits and campaigns like Planned Parenthood, American Cancer Society, #ExxonKnew, Humanity United, League of Conservation Voters, and other groups reach their audiences, grow their ranks, and change the world.
The Social Media Strategist is responsible for defining and creating organic and paid communications, advocacy and marketing strategies across social platforms. We’re looking for someone who can create and execute plans that connect our clients and their issues to individuals across Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, blogs, and so on, helping filter through all the things our clients could be doing and hone in on what they should be doing to reach their goals.
Hey! Are you the one we're looking for?
- Have no less than 5 years of professional social media experience.
- Understand of the value of social media in pursuing goals, and know-how to build social media strategies and tactics to get there.
- Can point to audiences you’ve grown and engaged on social media channels—for yourself, or for clients/organizations you’ve worked for.
- Have great examples of your best social media writing and other content in action, and understand voice(s).
- Understand what different social media channels are good for – in terms of goals & audiences – and can articulate that to clients and staff, as well as apply it during strategy development.
- Know what “good” looks like in terms of effective social media content in different communications and advocacy contexts—and can identify when and how to change course before it goes “bad.”
- Are driven by data, and have a clear understanding of the metrics that matter on social media channels.
- Can articulate your ideas in writing and in meetings.
- Have direct experience developing and implementing paid strategies across social platforms.
- Are an avid follower of social media trends and news.
- Are a collaborative team player who takes (and gives) feedback constructively.
- Set priorities, triage tasks, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment. You have a strong sense of ownership and urgency over projects, and take initiative in implementing ideas.
- Are self-motivated, highly organized, and personable. Actually, you’re kind of awesome and amazing.
Here's what you'll be doing on any given day:
- Design social media strategies and campaigns to drive engagement, awareness, and action for our clients and their issues.
- Given a campaign or organization’s goals, devise and articulate smart ideas for how the tools of social media can help achieve those goals. Produce short- and long-term plans for social media that are on-point with the needs and styles of different clients and campaigns. This may include research, strategic briefs, scope and planning documents, creative campaign and content ideas, and presentations to clients.
- Integrate social media strategies and tactics into broader communications and advocacy campaigns.
- Apply a strong understanding of digital best practices to all initiatives, including social media writing, testing, recruitment, community management, and reporting.
- Write and edit great, compelling, thoughtful social media content that is authentic to the client’s voice and aligns with goals.
- Contribute to the development of social media best practices for the team. Stay abreast of new trends and internal testing results and use that knowledge to inform your work and educate other staff.
- Articulate solutions and sell ideas to account teams.
- Lead reporting on mid- to large accounts for social media and campaign clients.
- Manage small to medium client accounts, including serving as the day-to-day client contact and overseeing the work of other M+R staff on the client team.
Salary, Benefits & Some Perks:
- One of our core values as a firm is that we take care of each other. Every employee shares in our success and in our profits, and we offer a great salary and benefits package:
- Three week’s vacation as well as sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care and transit;
- Professional development stipend;
- Weekly “beerstorms” where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of non-traditional benefits depending on which office you’re in. Records and record players. Snack breaks. Mannequins. Animatronic ponies. It just gets weirder and cooler and fun-ner from here.
The Fine Print
This position can be located in any of the following M+R offices:
• 11 Park Pl., New York, NY
• 1901 L St. NW, Washington, DC
• 1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
• 1275 East 6th Street, Los Angeles, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please. M+R will only contact candidates to schedule an interview.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. We are strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We love, respect, and welcome you!
M+R is 130 smart people who help nonprofits achieve real, lasting change. We mobilize supporters, raise money, and move the media, the public, and decision-makers. We only work with clients we believe in. We take risks. We work hard. We’re leaders, we’re organizers, and we don’t stop until we win.