Account Supervisor, Social Media
DC, BOS, OAK, LA, NYC /
Social Media /
We’re looking for an Account Supervisor to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Social Media Practice Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is awesome. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run social media programs and campaigns for nonprofits and causes like immigrant rights, gender equality, health equity, and more -- think groups like the American Cancer Society, Environment Working Group, and others.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to reach their audiences across social platforms with the right messages at the right times to grow their ranks and drive action, narrative change, and fundraising. We filter through all the things our clients could be doing and hone in on what they should be doing to reach their goals.
Here's what you'll be doing in this role:
- Design and drive social media strategies and campaigns that yield engagement, awareness, and action for our clients and their issues.
- Produce short- and long-term plans for social media that are on-point with the needs and styles of different clients and campaigns. This may include research, strategic briefs, scope and planning documents, creative campaign and content ideas, and presentations to clients.
- Set key metrics, applying a strong understanding of digital best practices for testing, recruitment, community management, and all reporting.
- Identify new opportunities for clients to grow their programs and social audiences, including new networks, technologies, approaches, and partnerships.
- Integrate social media strategies and tactics into broader communications and advocacy campaigns.
- Maintain the client relationship by staying in close contact with clients throughout the day via email and phone about all the big and little things going on, participating in and often leading weekly check-in calls, and presenting at big strategy meetings.
- Contribute to the development of social media best practices for the firm. Stay abreast of new trends and internal testing results and use that knowledge to inform your work and educate other staff.
- Assign and review junior staff deliverables - providing feedback, coaching, and guidance at every step.
- Be a visible and vocal presence by actively contributing to our organizational culture and building inclusive spaces within your teams and across M+R
- Do your part to help us run smoothly - including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 7-8 years of experience managing social media programs, including for nonprofits.
- Ability to point to audiences you’ve grown and engaged on social media channels.
- Deep understanding of social media metrics and ability to translate them into key takeaways.
- Understanding of social media creative best practices for design and copywriting across existing and emerging platforms.
- Solid graphic design skills, including Adobe Creative Cloud experience.
- Knowledge of how best to engage stakeholders and influencers across multiple social media platforms.
- Direct experience developing and implementing paid strategies across social platforms.
- Experience using social media tools such as Tweetdeck, Hootsuite, and SproutSocial.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in person, or in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to craft meeting agendas to identify project goals and ensure successful outcomes.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively - soliciting ideas, seeing each other's perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Social media experience across multiple issues areas, sectors, or industries.
- Ability to edit basic social media videos.
- Have worked in an agency setting or at another consulting firm.
- Deep knowledge of best practices for social integration with media relations, digital organizing, and/or fundraising.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
- This is an exempt, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary for this position starts at $79,000 with eligibility for an approximate $6,600 year end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. Successful staff at M+R have regular opportunities for promotion with accompanying increases in compensation.
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with quarterly employer contributions and an employer match;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we're back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working from home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices will remain closed through Labor Day (September 6, 2021), and all staff will have the option to continue working from home through December 31, 2021. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees, and we want to ensure our staff feel ready to return to the office. This position is not a permanent remote role and starting January 2022, will be located in any one of the following offices full-time:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
1275 East 6th St., Los Angeles, CA
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
11 Park Place, New York, NY
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.