Junior Digital Designer
NYC, DC, OAK, BOS
We’re looking for an ace graphic designer to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business.
When you come work for us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is awesome. We are serious about working with clients who are changing the world and alleviating suffering. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, and pretty cool people who get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
- A critical, fearless approach. Every day we say and do the things that must be said and done, even if the consequences aren’t exactly a barrel of laughs.
- Creativity that just won’t quit. We want you to bring your wacky self to work every day. Not just because it’s fun, but because the wildest idea just might be the thing that works.
So that’s us. Now about the work…
- We run online advocacy and fundraising campaigns. Great big ones you read about in the news and tiny ones you’ve never heard of that are saving lives. Lots of politically progressive groups – Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, PETA, , etc. Cultural organizations we love, like the Central Park Conservancy. And many causes that are working in the most dire situations in the world such as the American Red Cross and Oxfam. Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to recruit supporters, influence policy, raise money, hold corporations accountable, make the most of news moments, and leave no idea unconsidered that might engage regular people in the world around them.
- Critical to our success is making sure we’re continuously taking advantage of all opportunities to drive online fundraising and advocacy goals and recruit new activists and donors, using both tried and true and cutting edge online advertising technologies. Clean, compelling, user-centered design is the lynchpin of our strategy.
As our Junior Digital Designer, here's what you'll be doing on any given day:
- Spending the majority of your time creating quick custom graphics for nonprofit social media feeds (primarily Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram). You’ll also make changes to existing files, resizing banner ads and images.
- Collaborating with senior designers and working with various client teams designing emails, banner ads, microsites, social ads and posts.
- Brainstorming new ideas and concepts, and providing constructive feedback for other designers in a group critique setting.
- Working on various internal marketing projects including PowerPoint templates and decks, ads, microsites, blog posts and social media.
- Spending time improving your design and technical skills.
And then here's what you have:
- 1+ years of experience at an agency or in-house
- Proficient in Adobe CC: Illustrator and Photoshop
- An understanding of core design principles for the digital realm, including typography, color theory, grids, and layout
- Knowledge of web development processes and an understanding of UX and UI
- An online portfolio or personal website showcasing relevant work
- Ability to follow art direction and receive constructive feedback
- A willingness to learn and grow as a designer
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Ability to set priorities, stay organized, and meet deadlines even when things get hectic
- Ability to work well within a small team
- Are kind, friendly, and don’t take yourself too seriously
We'll be EXTRA excited if you have:
- Experience in Sketch and InVision
- Video and animation experience
- Illustration skills
Salary, Benefits and Some Perks
- One of our core values as a firm is that we take care of each other. Every employee shares in our success and in our profits, and we offer a great salary and benefits package:
- Three weeks vacation as well as sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care and transit;
- Professional development stipend;
- There IS such a thing as free lunch here – on Fridays!
- Weekly “beerstorms” where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of non-traditional benefits depending on which office you’re in. Records and record players. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap.
The Fine Print
The position could be located in one of the following offices:
1901 L St. NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
9 Hamilton Place, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please. M+R will only contact candidates to schedule an interview.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We love, respect, and welcome you!
M+R is 130 smart people who help nonprofits achieve real, lasting change. We mobilize supporters, raise money, and move the media, the public, and decision-makers. We only work with clients we believe in. We take risks. We work hard. We’re leaders, we’re organizers, and we don’t stop until we win.