Vice President, Social Media
DC, BOS, OAK, LA, NYC /
Social Media /
We’re looking for a Vice President to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Social Media Practice Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run social media programs and campaigns for nonprofits and causes like immigrant rights, gender equality, health equity, and more – think groups like the American Cancer Society, Vera Institute, Physicians for Human Rights, and others.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to reach their audiences across social platforms with the right messages at the right times to grow their ranks and drive action, narrative change, and fundraising. We filter through all the things our clients could be doing and hone in on what they should be doing to reach their goals.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Drive overall strategy for clients' organic social media programs – define goals, propose and manage budgets, and design strategies and campaigns that yield engagement, awareness, and action for our clients and their issues.
- Integrate social media strategies and tactics into broader communications and advocacy campaigns.
- Lead teams of 2-6 team members to run issue-driven campaigns for 3-5 clients at a time. Collaborate closely with senior leaders from Digital Organizing, Media Relations and Advertising. When necessary, lead oversight of integrated work.
- Identify new opportunities for clients to grow their programs, including new technologies, strategies, and partnerships.
- Serve as a leader in our Social Media Practice Area, and across the firm, developing and marketing new services and sharing ideas across teams to better serve our clients and support our staff.
- Contribute significantly to driving new business – maintaining an active network to find new opportunities, leading compelling proposals and pitches to win new business, and seeking ways to integrate social media across the firm’s business development strategy.
- Lead the development of social media best practices for the firm. Stay abreast of new trends and internal testing results and use that knowledge to inform your work and educate other staff.
- Build happy, effective, and productive teams – own the overall morale, give regular coaching and feedback to all team members.
- Directly supervise 2-3 staff – being proactive about their professional development and well-being.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly – including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
- Contribute meaningfully to culture at M+R and within the social media team by being accessible, investing time and attention in staff you work with, and driving and participating in team building activities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 10+ years experience managing organic social media programs for non-profits and/or issue-based, political or advocacy campaigns. Cause marketing or customer relations experience is relevant.
- Deep and comprehensive knowledge of organic social media strategy and marketing, and a proven track record of getting results.
- Proven comfort and effectiveness in communicating with clients and teams to build inclusive spaces and drive collaboration.
- Proven experience successfully managing budgets of $250,000-$1 million.
- A strong network of contacts in the digital marketing and nonprofit/political social media industry.
- Understanding of social media creative best practices across existing and emerging platforms.
- Strong understanding of social media metrics and ability to translate them into key takeaways.
- Demonstrated ability to bring an equity lens (and a recognition of your own position in social power structures) both to campaigns that mobilize traditionally underrepresented communities and to your professional interactions.
- Demonstrated ability to lead meetings to identify goals and ensure successful outcomes.
- Ability to communicate persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns, and directly supervising and coaching staff.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively - soliciting ideas, seeing each other's perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Have worked in an agency setting or at another consulting firm.
- Have overseen significant design or branding projects.
Salary, benefits, and some perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with quarterly employer contributions and an employer match;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we're back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working from home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
The salary for this position is $113,324 with eligibility for an approximate $25,000-35,000 year-end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. If your years of experience for this position are more than what is required above, we will offer a slightly higher base salary up to $124,657.
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices will remain closed through Labor Day (September 6, 2021), and all staff will have the option to continue working from home through December 31, 2021. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees, and we want to ensure our staff feel ready to return to the office. This position is not a permanent remote role and starting January 2022, will be located in any one of the following offices full-time:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
1275 East 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.