Advertising (Electoral) Senior Digital Ads Manager
DC, BOS, LA, OAK, NYC, Remote /
We’re looking for a Senior Digital Ads Manager to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business in our Advertising Practice Area.
When you come work for us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We only work with clients who are changing the world. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who bring the smarts, get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
So that’s us. Now about the work…
- We run innovative and strategic online advocacy, digital organizing, and electoral campaigns that build grassroots power and create lasting change. We work with progressive groups working on everything from economic justice to climate change to global poverty – think Planned Parenthood, NRDC, big national unions, healthcare advocacy groups, and more. We work exclusively with outside organizations, not candidate campaigns, because our goal is not just to win an election but to build long-term organizing infrastructure that can hold people in power accountable.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to drive the narrative, influence policy, hold corporations and politicians accountable, recruit activists, make the most of news moments, and leave no idea unconsidered that might build power. We have a particular focus on developing new models to mobilize infrequent voters of color.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Participate in client strategy and media planning meetings for persuasion, awareness and direct response clients.
- Draft media plans, memos, and data reports for clients.
- Work closely with M+R’s digital organizing team to develop and execute integrated campaigns to reach electoral and organizing goals.
- Help manage your teams making sure all campaigns and client deliverables launch on time and are error-free.
- Prepare for and lead weekly client check-ins. Prioritizing all client communications for the team.
- Work with the ad team to implement and manage digital advertising campaigns across our clients. This includes display, video, search, and social advertising.
- Provide guidance to graphic designer and client teams on effective creative.
- Negotiate terms with advertising partners, review and finalize contracts, approve invoices.
- Place and monitor media buys - and make adjustments as necessary to optimize results.
- Evaluate digital advertising performance - produce detailed reports on campaigns.
- Research new advertising venues and stay abreast of online advertising trends; develop and maintain relationships with vendors and partners.
- Consistently use findings to inform best practices and train staff.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly - including carefully tracking all of your client hours as well as pitching in with small office management responsibilities.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 3+ years of experience managing all aspects of a digital advertising program, including media buying and account management experience.
- Experience with direct response or persuasion/awareness work for advocacy or political campaign.
- Experience with each of the following channels: display/video, paid social, and search.
- Experience directly in ad servers or demand-side platforms such as Google Display and Video 360 (DBM), Google Campaign Manager (DCM), Verizon, and The Trade Desk.
- Interest in getting your hands dirty with data – you can make your way around Google Analytics and pivot tables with ease and interpret the results.
- Ability to prioritize your time across projects that have varying complexity and competing deadlines.
- Success delegating up and down to ensure top-notch work products.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Acute attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize your time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Strong ability to write clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills on the job, including learning new technologies.
- Successful experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Capability to tackle big projects by breaking them down into smaller pieces.
- Ability to see a problem and propose a solution.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Understanding of how your words and actions affect others.
- Kindness and consideration for others.
- Experience bringing a lens of inclusivity to all of your interactions with colleagues.
- Passion for the role that your work plays in creating change in the world.
- Drive to work collaboratively - soliciting ideas, seeing each other's perspectives, and always doing what you say you will do.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that seeking and receiving feedback is part of the learning process.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience working in design platforms, such as Canva or Bannersnack.
- Basic understanding of pixel and pixel management.
Salary, Benefits and Some Perks:
- Three week’s vacation as well as paid sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental, and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with an employer match and quarterly employer profit-sharing contributions;
- Professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit;
- Regular brainstorms where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of benefits depending on which office you’re in (once we're back open!). Free lunch once a week. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap. Records and record players.
- While our physical offices are closed, we offer reimbursements for cell phones and internet, plus a small monthly working-from-home stipend to make your work-at-home life a bit more comfortable.
This is an exempt, unionized position, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild. The salary is $68,000 with eligibility for an approximate $4,896 year-end bonus depending on start date and firmwide performance. Additionally, we are offering a sign-on bonus of $6,800.
As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. Successful staff at M+R have regular opportunities for promotion with accompanying increases in compensation.
We also offer a generous benefits package, plus some perks:
The fine print:
Due to COVID, our offices are currently closed. Our primary concern is the care and health of our employees, and will not reopen our offices until it is safe to do so. When M+R reopens its offices, we have a preference for this position to work out of one of the following M+R offices:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
1275 East 6th St, Los Angeles, CA
If you would prefer not to be based in one of our offices, we will discuss those logistics during the interview process.
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We love, respect, and welcome you!
We are communicators, marketers, fundraisers, and campaigners who unleash the power of people to do good. We work exclusively with nonprofits fighting for a just and sustainable world.