Data Analyst , Web Analytics and Optimization
NYC, DC, OAK, BOS
M+R is looking for a Data Analyst specializing in Web Analytics and Optimization to join one of the best firms in the do-gooder business. You’ll be helping to optimize web strategies to recruit online activists and donors for some of the most effective organizations in the country.
When you come work for us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is awesome. We are serious about working with clients who are changing the world and alleviating suffering. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, and pretty cool people who get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
- A critical, fearless approach. Every day we say and do the things that must be said and done, even if the consequences aren’t exactly a barrel of laughs.
- Creativity that just won’t quit. We want you to bring your wacky self to work every day. Not just because it’s fun, but because the craziest idea just might be the thing that works
So that’s us. Now about the work…
- We run online advocacy and fundraising campaigns. Great big ones you read about in the news and tiny ones you’ve never heard of that are saving lives. Lots of politically progressive groups – Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, PETA, Sierra Club, etc. Cultural organizations we love, like the Central Park Conservancy. And many causes that are working in the most dire situations in the world such as the American Red Cross and Oxfam.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to recruit supporters, influence policy, raise money, hold corporations accountable, make the most of news moments, and leave no idea unconsidered that might engage regular people in the world around them. This is a job where you’ll get incredible training at a speedy clip.
- Critical to our success is our never-ending drive to analyze and optimize everything we do. We are data-driven to the bones. And we are growing our team of data specialists.
Here’s what you’d be responsible for as a member of M+R’s Data Team:
- Mine and analyze client web performance in order to set up reporting frameworks, establish key metrics, and/or design testing plans.
- Audit existing analytics setup to identify gaps in data tracking and capture strategy.
- Design and implement A/B and multivariate experiments using tools such as Optimizely and Google Optimize.
- Analyze tests results to provide clients with recommendations to improve web performance and optimize online marketing strategies.
- Create custom dashboards for ongoing reporting.
- Create staff trainings/guides on web analytics. Ensure staff is well versed in our offerings and knowledgeable in basic strategies.
And then there’s you…
- Have at least 2-3 years experience in similar role.
- Have used Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager extensively, including to set up tracking systems and regularly create reports.
- Have experience designing and implementing A/B tests with tools like Optimizely or Google Optimize.
- Have excellent analytical skills: you can distill data into meaningful analysis, pulling out the most salient points that answer the questions being asked.
- Have demonstrated experience providing analysis that drives change and results in increased conversions and/or revenue.
- You’re detail-oriented! There are lots of metrics. You are the person who spots the discrepancy no one else sees.
It would be great if you knew these things, too:
- A strong understanding of and experience with databases, spreadsheets, and statistics.
- Experience with Excel, SQL, and statistical software packages.
- Experience working in direct response marketing with nonprofits or political organizations.
Salary, Benefits, and Some Perks
- One of our core values as a firm is that we take care of each other. Every employee shares in our success and in our profits, and we offer a great salary and benefits package:
- Three weeks vacation as well as sick and personal days;
- Generous health, dental and vision benefits;
- 401(k) plan with employer match;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care and transit;
- Professional development stipend;
- There IS such a thing as free lunch here – on Fridays!
- Weekly “beerstorms” where we cook up our most creative ideas;
- All kinds of non-traditional benefits depending on which office you’re in. Records and record players. Snack breaks. Cold brew coffee on tap.
The Fine Print
This position can be located in any of the following M+R offices:
• 11 Park Pl., New York, NY
• 1901 L St. NW, Washington, DC
• 9 Hamilton Place, Boston, MA
• 1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please. M+R will only contact candidates to schedule an interview.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn and work together to change the world. M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We love, respect, and welcome you!
M+R is 130 smart people who help nonprofits achieve real, lasting change. We mobilize supporters, raise money, and move the media, the public, and decision-makers. We only work with clients we believe in. We take risks. We work hard. We’re leaders, we’re organizers, and we don’t stop until we win.