Digital Fundraising & Advocacy Vice President
DC, BOS, OAK, NYC, Remote /
Digital Fundraising & Advocacy /
We’re looking for a Vice President to join our Digital Fundraising & Advocacy Area.
When you come work with us, here’s what you’ll find:
- Work that is meaningful. We are a fast-paced, deadline-driven consulting firm that only works with nonprofit clients who are essential to advancing the cause of justice, alleviating suffering, and solving the greatest challenges we face.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, passionate people who work collaboratively to get things done and help you do your best.
- An organization that embraces change. We strive to improve and adapt and always seek new ways that we can contribute to a just, inclusive, and sustainable world. We are also continually working on making M+R a better place for our staff.
So that’s us. Now about the work:
- We run digital fundraising, membership, and advocacy programs for our clients, which include lots of politically progressive groups like Planned Parenthood, League of Conservation Voters, and PETA, as well as cultural organizations we love, like the American Museum of Natural History. And our clients also include organizations that are working in the most dire situations in the world such as the International Rescue Committee.
- Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to find, recruit, and retain supporters in order to raise revenue, win campaigns, and build brand recognition and loyalty for our clients.
Here’s what you’ll be doing in this role:
- Drive overall cross-channel success for client fundraising programs: define goals and determine how to reach them, while effectively overseeing budgets and client teams.
- Work across multiple clients and client teams, leading both large online programs as well as smaller engagements.
- Build and own relationships with client senior executives and expand your network of industry leaders, keeping them informed and engaged with M+R’s news and updates.
- Identify new opportunities for clients to grow their programs, including new channels, technologies, strategies, and partnerships.
- Serve as a leader in our Digital Fundraising & Advocacy Practice Area, and across the firm, advancing M+R’s culture and values, helping to develop and market new services, and sharing ideas across teams to better serve our clients and support our staff.
- Seek out meaningful opportunities to expand client accounts and lead compelling proposals and pitches to win new business.
- Drive client strategy and fundraising planning meetings. Persuasively present ideas and results to clients.
- Lead strong teams -- rally staff behind client goals, set clear expectations, build relationships with teammates at all levels, ensure time for the team to connect, and be accountable for resolving issues.
- Coach and mentor junior staff -- providing consistent feedback, coaching, and guidance on deliverables.
- Directly supervise staff -- being proactive about their professional development and well-being.
- Drive conversations and processes that help build inclusive spaces and advance equitable outcomes within your teams and across M+R.
- Do your part to help us run smoothly, including carefully tracking all of your hours.
Skills and experiences required for this role:
- 10-12 years of experience managing online fundraising programs for non-profits and/or electoral campaigns, or consulting on them at agencies. At least 3 of those years must be in a leadership role where you were responsible for the success of the program or client.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement cross-channel digital strategies (email, advertising, organic social, SMS, P2P).
- Experience experimenting with new and innovative digital fundraising strategies and tactics.
- Extensive experience drafting and editing fundraising creative, with a particular emphasis on email, digital ad, and landing page copy.
- Expertise in running data-driven programs, developing revenue projections, and evaluating strategies and tactics based on results.
- A strong network of contacts in the digital marketing and nonprofit/political fundraising sector as well as a presence in the industry via participation in conferences, webinars, or other thought leadership.
- Experience with new business development via proposal writing and pitching and/or leading a RFP process at a non-profit.
- Experience communicating persuasively in a way that articulates your ideas and conveys your expertise, whether on the phone, in-person, or in writing.
- Experience supporting the professional development of more junior staff or interns, and directly supervising and coaching staff.
Skills and experiences we expect of all M+R employees:
- Demonstrated commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively to gain trust and give respect to others through honesty, integrity, kindness, empathy, and authenticity.
- Acute attention to detail and demonstrated ability to prioritize time to meet deadlines for multiple projects.
- Proven track record to successfully pick up new skills, including learning new technologies.
- Drive to seek what can be improved and offer ways to fix any potential roadblocks.
- Comfort admitting what you don’t know and recognizing that feedback is part of the learning process.
- Strong ability to relay your ideas clearly verbally and in writing.
Skills and experiences that are preferred, but not required:
- Experience in an agency setting or at another consulting firm.
- Experience working at a non-profit with a large online program that’s raising millions of dollars annually.
- Experience integrating digital fundraising with offline direct response fundraising (direct mail and telemarketing).
Salary and benefits:
- This is an exempt position. The total compensation for this position is $147,000 - $152,000: the salary is $131,950 (dependent on years of experience) and year-end bonus eligibility averages $15,000 - $20,000 (dependent on start date and firmwide and individual performance). As part of M+R’s commitment to compensation equity and transparency, we have a no negotiation policy. Salary negotiations can introduce bias and perpetuate wage inequality. If your years of relevant experience for this position are more than what is required above, we will offer a higher starting salary to reflect that, and compensation will be discussed more in depth in the initial interview.
- Three weeks vacation as well as 15 paid sick days and three personal days;
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits with premiums fully paid for by M+R for individual employees;
- 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match and quarterly 1.5% automatic employer contributions;
- Flexible work schedules and the option to work remotely anywhere within the United States and its territories with broadband internet;
- Annual $1,000 professional development stipend;
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical, dependent care, and transit.
We also offer a generous benefits package:
The fine print:
M+R staff have the option to be fully remote within the United States, or work from one of the following M+R office locations:
1101 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC
11 Park Place, New York, NY
262 Washington St, Boston, MA
1611 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA
Staff working from an M+R office are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and all staff will be asked to provide information regarding their vaccine status.
To apply, use the button on this page. No calls please.
Our Hiring Process:
We aim to be transparent and efficient in our hiring process. Each question you will be asked throughout our hiring process ties directly back to one of the skills and experiences listed above. In each interview, you will be asked to provide examples of these skills and experiences or how you would draw on your experience to handle a scenario commonly found at M+R. Our typical hiring process includes:
1) Phone Interview
2) Written Skills Assessment
3) Video Interview(s)
4) Reference Check
Depending on logistics and scheduling, our hiring process generally takes about 4-5 weeks from phone interview to a job offer. We let candidates know after each step in the process, once we’ve made a decision, whether they are moving forward to the next stage or not, so candidates know the status of their application. If you need accommodations for this application process or any of the hiring process steps listed above, please email email@example.com or call 202-681-8743.
M+R is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants will be considered. As a firm we are committed to being an anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive organization where all staff feel welcomed, valued, and empowered, resulting in meaningful, rewarding, and enriching experiences throughout their careers here. We work to center our AEI values in all aspects of our work, so our culture, clientele, policies, and practices are reflective and affirming of people -- inclusive of their race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, immigration status, citizenship status, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.