Online Fundraising & Advocacy Fellowship
Unfortunately, we are no longer accepting applications for the 2017 Fellowship.
Thank you for your interest.
Hey! Are you the one we’re looking for?
We’re looking for two people to join a growing community of online organizers and digital campaigners fighting for social justice. M+R is particularly interested in identifying and providing campaign experience to talented folks from historically marginalized and underrepresented communities in the digital industry.
Here’s what you’ll find during this paid six-month Fellowship:
- Work that is awesome. We are serious about working with clients who are changing the world and alleviating suffering. And, we say no to clients if we don’t believe in their cause or if we can’t help them.
- Colleagues you can count on. Kind, dedicated, and pretty cool people who get things done, and help you to do your best, too.
- A critical, fearless approach. Every day we say and do the things that must be said and done, even if the consequences aren’t exactly a barrel of laughs.
- Creativity that just won’t quit. We want you to bring your wacky self to work every day. Not just because it’s fun, but because the wildest idea just might be the thing that works.
- Commitment to diversity. We acknowledge that we aren’t perfect but we are committed to the long-term process of creating a diverse, equitable workplace. We make space for each other to have difficult conversations and hold ourselves and each other accountable.
So that’s us. Now about the work…
- We run online advocacy and fundraising campaigns. Great big ones you read about in the news and tiny ones you’ve never heard of that are saving lives. Our clients range from politically progressive groups and cultural organizations to international relief groups and the labor movement. We get to work with Planned Parenthood, Sierra Club, Smithsonian, American Museum of Natural History, Oxfam, CARE, and many more! Day-to-day, we’re figuring out how to recruit supporters, influence policy, raise money, hold corporations accountable, make the most of news moments, and leave no idea unconsidered that might engage regular people in the world around them. This is a Fellowship where you’ll get incredible training and learn online advocacy and fundraising from the ground up. You don’t need direct experience in digital fundraising or advocacy, but it’s crucial you have a passion for using the internet and technology to make the world a better place.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Work in a team to create and implement effective digital campaigns for clients;
- Learn to manage technology such as Salsa and Convio to set up and blast email communications (never heard of Salsa and Convio – no problem!);
- Help draft action alerts, fundraising appeals, social media posts, and other creative materials;
- Learn to execute testing strategies, such as A/B testing, to optimize campaigns;
- Receive training in analyzing data and creating client reports on email messaging, membership recruitment, and campaign results;
- Support paid online advertising and other email list growth initiatives;
- Contribute to the development of social media, mobile or other strategies that integrate with email campaigns;
- Intensive training in digital copywriting, HTML coding and email production, Excel and data analysis, Photoshop, and more.
Here’s more about the right person for the job. You...
- Recognize and are moved to action by unjust power dynamics in broader society;
- Believe the internet is a movement-building tool and can be harnessed for social change;
- Want to be part of a community of digital change-makers;
- Have deep connections with communities or groups who have been historically subject to discrimination and marginalization;
- Take ownership and initiative in everything you do, and understand how to work in a team;
- Solve problems creatively and thoughtfully;
- Are a numbers person and a words person;
- Have acute attention to detail and don’t drop the ball;
- Aren’t intimidated by anything – no learning curve is too steep;
- Are no stranger to hard work and do what it takes to get the job done;
- Are fun, friendly, and don’t take yourself too seriously.
Salary, Benefits, and Some Perks
- One of our core values as a firm is that we take care of each other. Fellows will receive the following:
- Full-time (40 hours/week) schedule earning $20/hour;
- Generous health benefits and earned sick time;
- Meet with senior-level staff member for twice monthly mentorship conversations;
- There IS such a thing as a free lunch here – on Fridays!
- Weekly “beerstorms” where we cook up our most creative campaign ideas;
- All kinds of non-traditional benefits. Records and record players. Snack breaks. Mannequins. Animatronic ponies. It just gets weirder and cooler and fun-ner from here.
The Fine Print
You’ll work out of M+R’s office in Oakland, CA from July 10, 2017 - December 29, 2017.
In your cover letter, make sure you include the following:
- What social movements or issues are you most passionate about and what has your activism looked like in the past (either online or offline)?
- What skills, knowledge, experience, and/or emotions would you bring to this fellowship program?
- Why would you like to work with us and what do you hope to gain from this experience?
Feel free to also include an optional writing sample (a blog post, an excerpt from an essay, a Facebook post you’re particularly proud of, anything really). We will review applications on a rolling basis and will only contact candidates to schedule an interview.
M+R is strengthened by our staff’s diversity, including race and ethnicity, social class, national origin, culture, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, and so much more. We strongly encourage folks from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. We love, respect, and welcome you!