Research Associate, Fermentation
Emeryville, CA /
Manufacturing – Process Development /
Full Time - Hourly
MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to benefit the world with new materials that offer superior performance to animal leathers and plastic. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and we strive for transparency, empathy and thriving in the relationships we’re building with customers, partners and each other.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender non-confirming individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MycoWorks is seeking a research associate responsible for organizing and executing mycology-based experiments under the direction of Sr. Scientists. The ideal candidate will have microbiology laboratory experience and be skilled in applying aseptic technique. The candidate will work with people with a variety of expertise within the team.
- Execute carefully controlled experiments to improve fungal inoculum, mycelial growth, substrate, and environment
- Track, organize and analyze experimental data
- Share results and knowledge with research team
- Help establish and maintain fermentation research laboratory
- Bachelor’s degree in microbiology, biology or related field, or comparable combination of experience and training
- 1 year, cumulative, experience in biological laboratory
- Meticulous aseptic technique
- Ability to follow instructions precisely
- Ability to perform complex procedures reproducibly
- Ability to work independently after training in research procedures
- Ability to organize and perform parallel experiments
- Ability to analyze experiments and think critically about results
- Ability to work collaboratively on a research team
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail