Production Line Leader
Emeryville, CA /
Manufacturing – Production /
Full Time - Exempt
MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission to create a platform for the highest quality materials using Fine Mycelium™, and our vision is to grow the future of materials. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and we strive for transparency, empathy and thriving in the relationships we build with customers, partners and each other.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender non-confirming individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MycoWorks is seeking a person to fill the role of Production Line Leader. This person will have 24/7 results accountability for one half of MycoWork’s new Reishi™production facility. This person will lead the facility through its startup and drive consistent increases in throughput by leveraging continuous improvement and loss elimination methodologies, all of which is to be built upon a strong foundation of all safety and quality systems.
Critical focus areas for the Production Line Leader will be: implementation of the MycoWay (MycoWork’s novel manufacturing work system); coaching and development of direct reports in the Area's of leadership, process understanding, and technical knowledge; elimination of their Area’s top chronic production losses to root cause; and fostering a winning culture.
This role interacts heavily with multiple organizations, including Engineering, Quality, Supply Chain, and Process Development. The role reports to the Plant Manager.
- Lead implementation of the MycoWay by leveraging servant leadership principles
- Drive a “Zero Defect” culture, especially in the areas of Safety and Quality
- Create and execute against an annual Master Plan as well as the corresponding 30-60-90 Day Plans
- Execution of the PDCA (Plan-Do-Check-Act) cycle with a focus on the elimination of the Area’s top chronic losses
- Lead the Daily Direction Setting process for your Area, ensuring the creation and execution of the “plan for the day” that addresses the previous day’s top sporadic losses, while also incorporating actions to address chronic losses and capability gaps
- Perform Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly gap analyses to validate all plans are on track, adjusting plans if necessary
- Develop a Skill Matrix which assesses your team’s current capability level against the desired target and highlights the priority improvement areas
- Develop the leadership capabilities of your shift leaders such that your Area is ran consistently shift-to-shift, day and night
- Execute Root Cause Loss Elimination targeted at your Area’s top losses and ensure they are driven to Zero, coaching your teams on the process along the way
- Assist in developing and lead the roll out of various Daily Management Systems including Incident Elimination, Defect Handling, and Centerline
- Partner with the Maintenance Manager to develop Clean, Inspect, & Lubrication (CIL) as well as time-based and emergency maintenance systems and standards
- Assist the Engineering department in the validation of all new equipment for this facility’s startup as well as other items that will support the development of the 10X facility
- Work with Process Engineering/Process Development groups in validating process centerlines
- Assist the Quality department with the improvement of test methods that are tied to your Area’s top Quality losses
- Hire new production operators on a timeline that enables you to achieve all of your goals
- Meet your Area’s budget, assessing adherence on a monthly/quarterly/annual basis
- Drives company vision in their work area
- BS/MS in Engineering or Business is preferred
- 2+ years of experience in Manufacturing and/or Manufacturing Leadership
- Experience with having 24/7 results accountability in a manufacturing environment
- People Management experience of teams > 15 individuals with a proven record of building capability in the organization
- Thorough understanding of TPM methodologies and implementation
- Knowledge of root cause analysis tools and ability to train the broader organization on their proper execution
- Understanding of OSHA standards and how to drive an “Injury Free” workplace
- Ability to execute gap analyses and create focused action plans
- Understanding of autonomous and progressive maintenance systems
- Knowledge of statistical process control
- Experience working in cross functional teams
- Experience with starting up new equipment and/or production lines
- Demonstrated ability to manage a budget while hitting all other production goals