Emeryville, CA /
Manufacturing – Process Development /
Full Time - Exempt
MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to benefit the world with new materials that offer superior performance to animal leathers and plastic. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and we strive for transparency, empathy and thriving in the relationships we’re building with customers, partners and each other.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender non-confirming individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
MycoWorks is seeking a person to fill the role of Distinguished Scientist. The person will be responsible for development and management of our Scientific Advisory Board, engaging with our Process Development & Research groups and with external partners to ensure we are leading world class research and partnerships that drive key corporate learning milestones. This role will enable and support our company-wide strategies including development of learning milestones, validation and prioritization of action plans and development and support of our scientific groups. This role will also drive research and relationships with our Scientific Advisory Board and our university and corporate partners to enable outside learning, bringing these learnings back to the MycoWorks organization.
This role is expected to support all functions of the organization, including product development (direct and indirect) and applied science in support of customer expectations. The role reports to the Chief Manufacturing Officer.
- Own, develop, lead and maintain the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB), and collaborate with university and corporate partners to expand the number of minds working on MycoWorks milestone challenges, coordinate work with our internal team.
- Build, train, and recruit SAB members as needed, including mycologists and experts in fermentation, tanning, material science and other relevant areas of thought leadership.
- Lead development of intellectual property to secure MycoWorks’ competitive advantage through expansion of company trade secrets and patent families.
- Support scoping and prioritization of learning plans, research efforts and future implementations, participating in the weekly analysis of data and development of our overall process and IP documentation as well as our workflow.
- Own the identification, selection and development of external scientific partners and strategic sourcing plans, as opportunities arise.
- Own and execute macro-modeling and related analyses, including mathematical modeling of large data sets supplied from our overall knowledge systems
- Coach and develop our scientists in development of experimental methodology, good scientific and analytical processes.
- PhD in biotech related field with a strong emphasis in solid state fermentation and fungi. 10+ years experience in leading scientific efforts across diverse organizations.
- Extensive experience in strategy development and setting milestones and timelines for research organizations.
- Minimum 15+ years working in technical organizations with demonstrated ability to coach and lead world class applied scientific discovery that lead to product sales.
- Demonstrated experience in high levels of team collaboration: building consensus, promoting an exchange of information among technical and business stakeholders, and leading research teams and multi-party negotiations.
- Experience selecting and developing strategic sourcing plans across different partner types: corporate, research and university.
- In depth knowledge / experience with materials science and/or tanning a plus
- Manage multiple priorities simultaneously with a strong results-oriented drive.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to provide data-based insights and observations.
- Detail oriented with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Desire to coach young talent and be involved in test design, development and analysis.
- Proven results in driving applied research to market launch a plus.