Senior Research Associate/Scientist, Material Development
Emeryville, CA /
Manufacturing – Process Development /
Full Time - Exempt
MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to benefit the world with new materials that offer superior performance to animal leathers and plastic. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and we strive for transparency, empathy and thriving in the relationships we’re building with customers, partners and each other.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender non-confirming individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mycoworks is seeking a Senior Research Associate/Scientist to support our downstream Process Development team. The ideal candidate will have a deep aptitude towards understanding the chemistry/biochemistry of our mycelial material post-fermentation and it’s interaction with different chemical species in order to develop the material/product attribute as required by our customers, application and targets. The role will require the candidate to explore and develop chemical/biochemical approaches and unit operations to process mycelia and transform it into leather-like material enabling development of a scale-able process. The candidate will work cross-functionally with other folks from Fermentation, Quality, Tech transfer as well as leather product experts.
- B.S and 5 years of experience, M.S. and 3 years of experience, or Ph. D. and 2 years of experience in Chemical/bioprocess Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Material sciences or related field, or a comparable combination of experience and training
- Deep understanding of chemical transformations and unit operations required for efficient diffusion, absorption, binding, mixing, etc of chemicals is required
- Extensive experience and proven capability to independently design, analyze and manage parallel experiment streams is a must.
- Ability to work successfully independently as well as within a technical team, and thrive in a multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work with others, and meet milestones in a fast-paced setting
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, effectively tailored to audiences of different knowledge levels
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to learn new methodologies for changing research priorities
- Preferred Areas of Specialization
- Leather tanning and finishing chemistry experience highly desired
- Prior experience with basic textile/leather characterization tests like tensile, tear, crocking, abrasion, multi-way stretch, moisture management/breathability, etc. will be a plus
- Experience with characterizing biological materials using biophysical and biomaterial characterization tools like SEM, AFM, FTIR, TGA, DSC, etc. is highly desired
- Gain thorough understanding of the chemical composition of the mycelial substrate, develop innovative chemistries and processes to deliver material with extraordinary performance
- Design, execute and analyze carefully controlled experiments to characterize mycelial microstructure, it’s surface and other bulk properties
- Use material characterization leanings to design and execute experiments to gain transformational understanding for process development and customer recipe development for finished sheets.
- Record and analyze data, manage documentation and communicate/present results within and outside the team
- Troubleshoot process parameters and experiments
- Sophisticated information management of laboratory data and documentation, including large experimental datasets and SOPs
- Assist in transferring technology from lab to production scale
- Help establish and maintain research laboratory for downstream material development
- Potential management of laboratory technicians and support personnel
- The functions described above may not be the only requirements of the position. Other responsibilities may be necessary, as required by MycoWorks team members.