Senior Process Engineer/Scientist, Material Development
Emeryville, CA /
Manufacturing – Process Development /
Full Time - Exempt
MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to benefit the world with new materials that offer superior performance to animal leathers and plastic. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and we strive for transparency, empathy and thriving in the relationships we’re building with customers, partners and each other.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender non-confirming individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mycoworks is seeking a Senior Process Engineer/Scientist for designing, planning and executing experiments required to build processes and process pipeline in our downstream process development team. The role will require the candidate to use his/her process engineering knowledge to develop chemical transformation based unit operations to develop innovative processes for our mycelial material. The goal is to develop chemical/biochemical approaches to transform mycelia into leather-like material enabling development of a scale-able process and to deliver material with the right fat/lubricant, dyes and chemistries for extraordinary performance. The candidate will work with folks with a variety of expertise within the team and cross-functionally including folks from Fermentation, Quality, Tech transfer as well as with leather product experts.
- B.S and 5 years of experience, M.S. and 3 years of experience, or Ph. D. and 2 years of experience in Chemical/bioprocess Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Material chemistry or related field, or a comparable combination of experience and training
- Deep understanding of chemical transformations, unit operations and process control is required
- Extensive experience with experimental design, data analysis, and managing parallel experiments in process development setting is needed
- Ability to work successfully independently as well as within a technical team, and cross-functionally
- Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work with others, and meet milestones in a fast-paced setting
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, effectively tailored to audiences of different knowledge levels
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to learn new methodologies for changing research priorities
- Leather tanning and finishing process experience highly desired
- Understanding and experience in analytical characterization like UV-VIS spectrometry, GCMS, HLPC, etc. is highly desired
- Experience with processing biological materials is highly desired
- Prior knowledge of textile chemistry and process will be a plus
Preferred areas of specialization
- Independently design and execute experiments with proper controls to process mycelial material post-harvest in alignment with team goals and customer needs
- Work on developing process flow diagrams, SOPs and tech transfer documents transferrable to external partners for scale-up
- Work in collaboration with design and engineering teams in conceptualizing and experimenting with custom made test equipment
- Carry out chemical/biochemical analysis along with material testing, either internally or with external collaborators
- Record and analyze data, manage documentation and communicate/present results within and outside the team
- Assist in transferring technology from lab to production scale
- Help establish and maintain research laboratory for downstream material development
- Potential management of laboratory technicians and support personnel
- The functions described above may not be the only requirements of the position. Other responsibilities may be necessary, as required by MycoWorks team members.