Senior FP&A Analyst
Emeryville, CA /
Operations – Finance /
Full Time - Exempt
MycoWorks is the biotechnology company that produces Reishi™, a Fine Mycelium™option for leather that is neither animal nor plastic. We are currently shipping product to brand partners in fashion, and we are backed by some of the leading venture capital firms in Silicon Valley. Our mission is to benefit the world with new materials that offer superior performance to animal leathers and plastic. As a team, we are data-driven in our commitment to quality, and we strive for transparency, empathy and thriving in the relationships we’re building with customers, partners and each other.
MycoWorks is committed to building a diverse team and an inclusive environment where all employees belong. Women, gender non-confirming individuals, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
FP&A is embedded in daily operations, supporting both near-term execution and long-term planning. FP&A Team member is expected to analyze data, provide recommendations, and lead cross-functional decision-making and implementation of the recommendations with the relevant executives/teams throughout the company.
The Corporate FP&A Analyst needs to have strong problem-solving & collaboration skills to work with the cross functional teams and managers at different levels. The incumbent, Financial Planning & Analysis will direct the development, analysis, and interpretation of financial information in terms of profitability metrics, performance against budget, fiscal soundness, and operating effectiveness of the Company. This position has a high level of executive level exposure, customer facing (internal & external) and management responsibilities.
Our Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) team plays a critical role in providing strategic partnership to leaders across MycoWorks. We achieve this through effectively engaging with our partners to understand our broad strategy, analyzing data, and delivering insights to help drive MycoWorks’s current and future performance.
- Set product cost targets, and collaborate on product improvements, cost reductions, and proposed sourcing from the Engineering, R&D, Production and Supply Chain teams in pursuit of cost targets.
- Analyzing key performance indicators, cost of sales, operating expenses, and capital expenditures (includes developing financial models and decision-making tools).
- Providing strategic insights and conclusions based on this analysis.
- Guiding planning and resource management (e.g. headcount, investment approvals, etc.).
- Identifying initiatives for improvement of MycoWorks financial outlook, including developing, tracking, and executing product development activities and assisting with performance vs. cost tradeoffs throughout the product life cycle.
- Lead the monthly Financial Planning & Analysis process and work closely with accounting to ensure a timely accurate month-end & year-end closings.
- Lead long term planning for MycoWorks, including new products/capabilities, and capital needs.
- Lead and drive the annual planning process, support company’s long-range planning in benchmark studies, market research, etc.
Lead MycoWorks Corporate forecast process including but not limited to
- Own the company’s overall income statement, balance sheet and cash flow forecast, consolidating inputs from across the broader finance organization, build departmental monthly and annual budgets and forecasts. Revise forecasts and budgets as needed.
- Direct the overall process for the bottoms-up development of the annual expense budget, resource planning analysis, and rolling forecast updates.
- Develop metrics to track team-specific and company-wide trends, identify opportunities, clearly communicate recommendations, and collaborate across all levels of the organization.
- Develop and track cross-company efforts to improve gross margin and cash flow.
- Summarize takeaways for review with Departments’ Head, executive team, and directors.
- Work with business partners to optimize G&A spending/investments.
- Report and provide in-depth analysis on monthly Actuals vs. Forecast / Budget to key leaders.
- Produce recurring Corporate level reporting and analysis. Assist the Senior management team understand the driver of the performance and potential risk.
- Provide a high level of thought process to recommend areas for improvement and lead projects to enhance the reporting and analytical infrastructure.
- Work with the finance business partners on recurring forecasts. Tailor messaging to the audience. Present information in a concise, intuitive fashion. Effectively communicate with team members and cross functional partners.
- Develop continuous process excellence improvements and incorporate feedback into deliverables. Evaluate current processes, identify best practices, develop plans to reach goals and implement improvements.
- Make recommendations as changes occur in business drivers, reporting requirements, and organization structures. Understand the implications on the overall company business model.
- Assist in analyzing new business opportunities. Serve as subject matter expert and provide financial and business decision consulting with depth and width.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of financial data/information sources.
- Develop, implement, and manage policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain strong business controls; drive increased visibility into expense risk areas.
- When the time comes, oversee, and maintain the corporate financial planning system, serve as the system expert to the team as the FP&A team grows in the future.
- Provide management team with insightful decision support and drive executive level ad hoc financial analysis as required.
- Assist with preparation of quarterly Board and Lender presentations.
- Assist with Company’s 5-year modeling process.
- Support ad hoc projects and help define process & systems improvements to support company growth.
- Works well under pressure and meets deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional cross-functional skills
- At ease presenting key results verbally, in writing and visually to larger audience
- Effective in meeting management clearly outlines purpose, keeps participants engaged and communicates follow-ups
- Five capabilities that differentiate this role and are key to candidate success:
- Being all-in
- Drive and own results
- Be a builder
- Embody a strategic mindset
- We are better together
- You want to be an integral part of shaping and nurturing an amazing work culture
- You are comfortable being natural, casual, open, and even a bit playful at work
- You can do periods of focused, deep work on projects that drive the needle
You will thrive here and may just do the best work of your life if…
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA and/or CPA a plus
- Minimum 4 years of related financial Planning & Analysis experience, revenue knowledge a plus
- Experience with P&L management, budgeting, forecasting, reporting and analysis
- Demonstrated proficiency in Accounting and general GAAP knowledge
- Excellent Advanced MS Excel and PowerPoint expertise required, knowledge in QUICKBOOKS, ONLINE, NETSUITE, and other or similar ERP Systems
- Experience with Adaptive Insights, Tableau, or the similar a plus