Ollie was born with the mission of improving the lives of pets and pet parents nationwide. We make human-grade pet food, tailored for each dog’s nutritional needs, and deliver directly to our customers’ doors. Through Ollie’s carefully crafted meals, dogs can truly live their healthiest, happiest lives.
We are a U.S. based distributed team and are backed by the same venture capital companies behind Instacart, Warby Parker, Glamsquad, Mirror, Prose, and Allbirds.
Ollie has recently transitioned from a third-party accounting provider and is looking for a senior accountant to be a key contributor of the growing finance and accounting team. This person will be critical in helping to streamline the accounting close and facilitating the formalization and standardization of processes to build out a scalable and agile accounting team. We are looking for a driven individual who thrives in an environment where they can problem solve, bring perspective, and work autonomously to take ownership of significant projects and key initiatives.
This role is based remotely in the U.S. and will report to the Financial Controller.
What You Will Do
- As the senior accountant, you will be primarily responsible for the day-to-day accounting and lead the monthly close process, including liaising with different aspects of the business and finding ways to bring efficiencies to the current process.
- During the month, you will be responsible for general ledger accounting, preparation of journal entries, and handling ad hoc requests as they arise. This includes producing financial information for leaders when requested and answering questions from the team.
- In addition to ownership of less complex areas, you will be primarily responsible for performing the accounting for key areas including revenue and COGS/inventory. Additionally, you will be responsible for managing the accrual processes and performing balance sheet reconciliations.
- Assisting in the administration and reconciliation of various systems including the expense management platform, payroll platform, and working directly with the Accounts Payable Clerk.
- Assists with the annual audit and tax compliance matters.
- Assists the Financial Controller and VP Finance & Strategy with one-off projects.
Who You Are
- A problem solver who can fully understand all aspects of an issue and bring actionable solutions to the team. Strong documentation skills are key.
- A person who can adapt to a dynamic and agile business, with new opportunities and projects arising constantly.
- A person who takes ownership of their work and can be self-motivated and operate autonomously on important projects and processes.
- The ability to be both detail-oriented with a keen focus on accuracy but also be able to bring big picture perspective to their role.
- Someone who likes to use technology to bring efficiencies to current processes; thinks outside the status quo to find ways to enhance current practices.
- You bring a positive attitude to your work, collaborating and being a partner to other aspects of the business. You demonstrate strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to explain technical accounting and finance matters to non-finance partners.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in accounting (or similar) from an accredited four-year college or university.
- You have a strong understanding of U.S. GAAP with 3-5 years of previous experience in an accounting role, preferably in ecommerce and direct to consumer (DTC) businesses. Additionally, experience with accounting for inventory is a plus.
- You have advanced experience with Excel and exposure to ERP systems (QuickBooks Online, NetSuite).
- Competitive salary and a stake in the company
- Sponsored 401k program with employer match up to 4%
- Comprehensive health coverage including medical, dental and vision
- Unlimited vacation policy that you're encouraged to use
- Paid parental leave
- 1-week paw-ternity leave for new dog parents
- Ollie subscription for one dog
- Inspiring pack members!
If you'd like to stand out, tell us in your cover letter why you're interested in joining Ollie and how your skills match the responsibilities detailed in this posting.
Ollie embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We're committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Ollie is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please include that in your application.