San Francisco, CA /
Full Time (Remote through end of COVID)
Are you excited about solving complex problems with machine learning? Want to contribute to a more sustainable future? Myst is a startup that uses AI to help energy companies better predict the future, to increase renewable energy adoption and reduce carbon emissions. We are building a platform that will help companies create highly accurate forecasts at unparalleled scale.
We closed our Series A from top Silicon Valley VCs, and we're growing – looking for an Engineering Manager to join our small (but mighty) team in San Francisco. You’ll be joining a group of people committed to positive environmental impact from a wide set of backgrounds, ranging from academia, nonprofits, and other tech startups to larger technology companies like Google, Stitch Fix, and Nest.
What does an Engineering Manager at Myst do?
As our first Engineering Manager, you’ll be responsible for the day-to-day management of our software development team. Because we’re still a small team, this will include making individual contributions to our software product and providing technical leadership to major projects. You will manage the goals of the engineering team, contribute to our product strategy, and help develop our exceptional engineers.
We’re looking for someone full time with at least six years of relevant industry experience, with two years of hands-on technical leadership and people management experience, and a proven record of being an effective leader. You will report directly to the CEO and have active exposure to our leadership team!
What might you work on?
- Managing a software engineering team that builds, designs, implements, and maintains the frontend and backend for the Myst Platform product
- Working on key engineering challenges for Myst today (e.g. scalable and distributed storage of time series data)
- Influencing and establishing best engineering practices through solid design decisions, processes, and tools
- Managing robust and scalable systems in order to get ahead of exponential demand
- Planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects that move the business forward
- Developing technical north stars and milestones that drive long-term changes to technical architecture
- Partnering closely with our product and data science teams to ensure we're building the best-in-class products
What do you need to be successful?
- 6+ years of hands-on work experience in a software engineering environment
- 2 years of experience leading engineering teams (hiring and mentoring engineers, setting technical direction, etc.) in a feedback-rich environment
- Proven track record of shipping commercially successful software systems and best-in-class technologies
- Experience with leading teams that build scalable SaaS products with a focus on providing data insights that have scaled to many hundreds of customers
- Empathetic leader with high EQ
- Strongly advocate for product excellence and engineering best-practices, such as code health
- Highly driven, organized, and communicative; thriving in environments with high ambiguity
- Excellent culture fit for Myst (humble, kind, thoughtful, collaborative, curious)!
We are passionate about Myst because we use state-of-the-art technology to increase renewable energy adoption and reduce emissions and waste. We work with a dozen leading energy companies in Europe and North America, often helping them save millions of dollars a year while reducing their carbon footprint.
We are committed to creating a culture in which people can be themselves; and we strongly believe in building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. Some of the best people we’ve worked with did not follow conventional paths. If you think you’re a good fit, even if you don’t meet the exact qualifications, please reach out to us – we’d love to hear from you. Myst offers a competitive salary, stock options, health benefits, 401k matching, etc to full-time employees.