San Francisco, CA /
At Myst AI, we’re building a machine learning platform that enables data scientists to create highly accurate time series forecasts at massive scale. Our vision is to create a world in which demand and supply are in continuous balance, so resources are used efficiently and sustainably for a better planet. Our current focus is to help energy companies better predict the future – to increase renewable energy adoption and reduce carbon emissions. There is an enormous addressable market (>$100B) for this platform, with an opportunity to drive significant impact in a variety of industries.
Are you enthusiastic about solving complex problems and contributing to a better future? We are looking for a Software Engineer (Backend) to join our 15-person team in San Francisco. You’ll be joining a talented group, backed by top Silicon Valley investors, who share a commitment to positive impact!
What does a Software Engineer at Myst do?
As a Software Engineer, you’ll play a key role on our collaborative Engineering team. This includes advocating for product excellence, contributing to system design decisions, and building our software product – mostly working on backend systems since that’s where the greatest business needs are today. As a startup, we're always tackling new challenges; so there will be opportunities to extend your focus in the future!
We prioritize candidates who are kind, learn quickly, and make smart decisions across a variety of domains. While our engineering team is well-versed in many programming languages and software tools, our current tech stack is Python, TypeScript/React, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform, and a variety of services and databases. We thoroughly unit test, and our CI/CD pipelines are fully automated.
What might you work on:
- Developing Myst’s machine learning platform to enable automated model prediction and experimentation
- Backend development of our APIs and client libraries
- Designing and optimizing time series and relational databases
- Building backend infrastructure to power machine learning workloads
- Providing comprehensive observability to our users through automated monitoring and alerting
What do you need to be successful:
- 2-5+ years of professional work experience as a software engineer; experience with ML is a plus
- Good grasp of OOP languages and ability to produce production-quality Python code, using Python's native packaging tools
- Experience in any combination of the following: developing web applications or APIs, designing databases, working with large software platforms or distributed systems, SaaS cloud architecture, machine learning or artificial intelligence, and DevOps
- High attention to detail and code quality, including unit testing
- Proven record of effective communication and collaboration skills
How we show up
• We care about Quality: We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and continuous improvement in our journey to long-term success.
• We believe in Diligence: We move slow to go fast because our forecasts are critical for our clients. We monitor performance and build reliable systems that clients can depend on.
• We are Resourceful: We believe in being owners of our work. When challenges arise, we find a path forward.
• We seek to Understand: We are intensely curious and welcome honest feedback, which creates an open and collaborative culture of growth.
Myst AI is a Series A company funded by top VCs, including Google. We passionately believe that some of humanity’s biggest problems such as climate change and food waste can be solved, in part, through better forecasting. We currently work with many of the world’s leading energy companies, often helping them save millions of dollars a year while reducing their carbon footprint.
We believe in building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team; and we’re committed to creating a culture in which people can bring their whole self to work. Some of the best people we’ve worked with did not follow conventional paths. If you think you’re a good fit, even if you don’t meet the exact qualifications, please contact us – we’d love to hear from you!
Myst offers a competitive salary, stock options, health benefits, 401k matching, and other great perks to full-time employees.