Full-stack Software Engineer
London, White City (with flexible working)
£50-70,000, depending on experience
We're Mytos and we build machines that automate the growing of human and animal cells. Our work has a massive real-world impact. We help teams in drug development and cell therapy accelerate their research so that drugs and new cures can get to patients earlier.
You don’t have to be wearing a lab coat to get the most out of working here though. We’re a low-ego, high-urgency team that spans software, hardware and biology. Our product encompasses mobile apps, hardware controllers, image processing and the latest cloud computing technologies. For us, software runs from the cloud to the firmware. And as we’re sure you can imagine, this creates all sorts of opportunities to grow your skills with us.
We’re working hard on one of the last highly manual processes in biotech, and it all stems from taking a human-centred approach to physical product design. Our founders, Ali and Ignacio, kept hearing about how time consuming cell growth was, and that many of the existing robotic processes didn’t solve the underlying problems - they just replaced the human with a robot. Our approach meant we saw the underlying user need. So rather than replicating the existing lab process, we built a simple new device. Our users can now grow and monitor cell batches from the cloud, allowing them to step away from the pipette and focus on the science.
This is an opportunity to work on projects at the interface of software, hardware and biology.
When you join us, you’ll get to:
- Own and deliver features which span from Node.js in the backend to React in the frontend where both code bases are entirely implemented in TypeScript.
- Add functionality to the GraphQL schema following best practices already followed when implementing specifics such as pagination and subscriptions.
- Work closely with product managers and designers in order to iterate on and implement features defined in wireframes and mockups.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have had experience with either GraphQL or OpenAPI standard for defining and managing the interface between the client and server.
- You employ the latest tools and frameworks when designing front end applications, we use Apollo client and sketchbook to mention a few.
- You are very proficient at writing strongly typed and performant TypeScript code for React and NodeJS applications using the latest language and framework capabilities.
- You care about the performance of everyone on the team, including supporting previous organisations in being more agile in how they plan and deliver software features.
- You have actively mentored engineers you have worked with in order to help them perform the best and grow into incredible software engineers.
We use the following technologies:
- Frontend (Netlify): React, TypeScript, GraphQL, Storybook, MaterialUI
- Backend (AWS & Heroku): NodeJS, TypeScript, GraphQL, MongoDB
- Physical Device (on-premise): NodeJS, Typescript, FastAPI, Python, MQTT
- Firmware: C++, GTest, GMock, Bazel, Platformio
Our interview process is as follows:
- Introductory call with a Mytos team member (30 minutes)
- Take home Codility coding challenge (2 hours)
- Competency interview with a software engineer at Mytos (1 hour)
- Take home preparation for technical onsite interview (2 hours)
- Technical onsite interview (2 hours)
- Founder interview (1 hour)
We’re building a team that enjoys moving fast and not killing cells, strives for continuous improvement through learning from mistakes and is passionate about work that contributes to solving real world problems. We learn together, grow together and solve hard problems together.
We get very excited about meeting potential colleagues who share our enthusiasm for unconstrained innovation and understanding our users. Our benefits include options, 32 days holiday, pension, thoughtful colleagues and a lab in the Imperial College Innovation hub in White City, where you’ll be based (when not working remotely).