Director/Senior Director of Instrument Hardware Engineering
San Carlos, CA
At Nautilus, we have a big and important mission: improve the health of millions by unleashing the potential of the proteome to accelerate drug development and enable a new world of precision and personalized medicine. We are developing a single-molecule protein analysis platform of unprecedented sensitivity, scale, and ease of use that we believe will democratize access to the proteome – one of the most dynamic and valuable sources of biological insight. To accomplish this, we are pursuing deep, hard science with an entrepreneurial mindset and creating a world-class team of builders, innovators, and dreamers across a wide range of disciplines.
The Director/Senior Director of Instrument Hardware Engineering will be responsible for leading and building out a world-class life sciences Instrument Hardware Engineering team that is tasked with developing instruments for Nautilus’ single molecule based high throughput proteomics platform. The instrument hardware engineering team, consisting of mechanical, electrical, optics, fluidics, motion control, and systems engineers, is largely based out of San Carlos but has team members operating out of San Diego and Seattle as well. The ideal leader must have experience managing a diverse engineering team spread over multiple sites. Besides instrument development, the hardware engineering team will also works closely with the Consumables R&D teams and Product Management teams to design flowcells and custom plastics for various reagents that will be consumed on the instrument.
We are looking for individuals with extensive experience developing capex equipment, particularly life sciences instruments, and having a track record of taking products from the concept phase all the way into commercial launch and post-launch support.
Advanced research and technology development activities resulting in next generation commercial products will also be led by this individual. This individual will be expected to work closely with product management in developing multi-year product roadmaps, especially as it relates to instruments.
Reporting into the SVP for Product Development, this person will work closely with the executive team and peer groups including consumables R&D, software engineering, operations, product marketing and project management towards the development and commercialization of proteomic products.
- Serve as a hands-on technical leader with deep understanding of various aspects of instrument hardware engineering
- Ensure excellent planning and effective use of resources to achieve organizational goals.
- Establish major objectives for a cross-functional group and ensuring goals are achieved in a timely fashion and within budget.
- Regularly and effectively interact with other senior leaders, peers, and subordinates for briefings and technical meetings.
- The successful candidate will be an inspirational leader who sustains a culture of passion, hard work, and innovation across functional groups.
- Uses independent judgment to develop strategies and implement operational policies and directives.
- Effectively communicate progress toward project/program goals.
- Develop leaders and direct reports for current and future needs and positively align talent decisions to strategic plans.
- Advanced Degree (Master’s or PhD) in a related science or engineering discipline.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible roles in dynamic, growing organizations.
- A minimum of 5 years of R&D leadership experience.
- Specific RUO (Research Use Only)/Life Science Tools experience is highly desirable.
- Have a track record of successful product commercialization within the life science sector.
- Proven track record of identifying and developing new technologies and products that are commercially successful.
- High degree of accountability.
- Dynamic leader with ability to motivate employees/managers to go the extra mile.
- Team player with an ability to influence peers and executives alike.
- Ability to work under tight schedules and drive projects with high speed.
- Demonstrates highly effective communication, problem-solving skills and thought leadership in a highly professional manner.
- Impeccable written and verbal communications; good listener.
- Has strong business acumen and customer centricity.
Nautilus Team Culture
- We are curious go-getters: this is a team of life-long learners who aren’t afraid to tackle the big challenges and we embrace the journey.
- We are detail oriented: we do great science by working smart & with diligence where we learn from our trials and mistakes.
- We are easy to work with: we want our workplace to be one where everyone can share their perspective and be treated with respect and kindness.
$205,000 - $273,000 a year
The hiring pay range for this position is based on skills, education and experience relevant to the role; title may be assessed one level lower or higher, accordingly. Other components of total compensation include a competitive options grant at the time of hire (with potential for additional grants).
Benefits include medical, vision, and dental insurance, group and supplemental life insurance, 401k retirement plan, responsible (unlimited) paid time off, parental leave, and more.