Senior Project Manager, Assay Development
San Carlos, CA /
Program Management /
At Nautilus, we have a big and important mission: improve the health of millions by unleashing the potential of the proteome to accelerate drug development and enable a new world of precision and personalized medicine. We are developing a single-molecule protein analysis platform of unprecedented sensitivity, scale, and ease of use that we believe will democratize access to the proteome – one of the most dynamic and valuable sources of biological insight. To accomplish this, we are pursuing hard scientific problems with an entrepreneurial mindset and creating a world-class team of builders, innovators, and dreamers across a wide range of disciplines.
We are hiring for a Senior Project Manager, Assay Development to join our growing team. This role will be a critical part of how assay, reagents, and consumables are developed in order to successfully deliver a comprehensive proteomics platform to our customers.
This position will be responsible for managing multiple projects varying in size and complexity for the development of novel assays, reagents, and consumables. This role entails working closely with multiple cross-functional teams in R&D, along with Product Management and Manufacturing. The position will interface with R&D leadership and scientists and will be responsible for developing and managing product development schedules from early phases through to commercial product release. This detail-oriented individual will collaborate with teams to plan and track project work, identify risks and resolve issues, and manage deliverables in a dynamic environment. The ideal candidate is a skilled team leader with excellent attention to detail, the ability to work independently and to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
This position will report to the Director of Program Management and is preferably located in San Carlos, CA.
- You will lead medium to large scale projects for the development of new assays and consumables, managing multiple projects simultaneously
- You will define project scope and objectives in alignment with high-level company goals
- You will develop project plans, milestones, and deliverables from initial product conception to product release
- You will create and manage detailed project schedules
- You will collaborate with technical leads and subject matter experts to translate technical risks and experimental outlines into actionable plans with measurable metrics
- You will identify and mitigate project risks and issues to remove obstacles and ensure milestone delivery on tight timelines
- You will facilitate prioritization and tradeoff decisions with teams and stakeholders
- You will measure and report project status using standard project management dashboards, tools, and techniques
- You will effectively communicate and present project status to senior management and stakeholders
- You will prepare agendas, lead meetings, and distribute meeting minutes and action items
- You must have a B.S. degree or M.S. in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or closely related field
- 5+ years of direct project management experience, preferably within R&D at a life sciences / biotechnology organization
- You must have proven ability to lead cross functional project teams involving R&D and other departments
- You must have familiarity with proteomics and molecular biology; knowledge of laboratory-based development principles, practices, and procedures
- You must have familiarity with assay development, verification, and validation
- You must have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- You must have experience in formally presenting project status to a variety of audiences, including technical team members and senior management
- You must have the ability to lead through influence to ensure team alignment in order to achieve product development and commercialization goals
- You must have proficiency in applications including Office365, PowerPoint, MS Excel, and SharePoint
- You must have experience in scheduling tools such as MS Project, Smartsheet, or Excel Gantt
- Experience with work item planning and tracking tools such as ADO or Jira preferred
- Direct experience or certification in Scrum or Agile preferred
- PMP certification, Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or other Project Management certifications are a plus
Nautilus Team Culture
- We are curious go-getters: this is a team of life-long learners who aren’t afraid to tackle the big challenges and we embrace the journey.
- We are detail oriented: we do great science by working smart & with diligence where we learn from our trials and mistakes.
- We are easy to work with: we want our workplace to be one where everyone can share their perspective and be treated with respect and kindness.