Engineering Manager (Remote)
Nava Roles - Engineering – Software /
Our mission is to partner with government agencies to deliver digital services and infrastructure that makes programs simple, effective, and accessible to all. As a public benefit corporation, our intent is not to win as much work as we can, but to design a portfolio that makes the highest leverage progress against that mission.
Nava has a role in every important program that serves vulnerable populations and can apply industry-level ecosystem pressure to transform service experiences, program outcomes, and agency adaptability.
- We are seeking a reliable, experienced engineering leader who cares deeply about nurturing teams to build software that makes a real difference in people's lives and is keen to grapple with the complexities and trade-offs involved in building government software. You prefer using proven technologies to build well-designed systems that are scalable, performant, and secure.
- You enjoy working on cross-functional teams, mentoring others, and partnering with leadership and government stakeholders to lead initiatives. You have empathy for the people who rely on your work, and you care about how your behavior affects others. You are humble and you value critical feedback and personal growth. You are comfortable receiving and giving kind, candid feedback.
- You have experience leading teams that have built large-scale systems that are well-designed, fast, scalable, and secure. You excel at communication and teamwork skills, building and improving processes to improve communication and collaboration on your teams. You must be able to communicate clearly and professionally in writing, in person, and through online tools, especially because we work with government stakeholders and other contractors.
- You exhibit good judgment and are able to adapt to new situations well. You will encounter situations that no one on your team or at Nava has encountered before. You take responsibility and are able to persist through ambiguity to get to a solution.
- Lead 6-8 engineers on cross-functional project teams. Provide coaching and feedback through regular 1:1s and biannual performance reviews.
- Hire and onboard new engineers.
- Work with government stakeholders to get buy-in on technical initiatives. Work closely with other cross-functional leads to identify and mitigate technical risks.
- Guide engineering team on planning, estimation, prioritization, trade-offs, and balancing technical debt, and meeting project milestones.
- Improve overall engineering quality through documentation, technical guidance and mentoring, and establishing and upholding best practices for the team.
- Review code and give feedback on technical specs. Review architecture and designs from other project teams. Collaborate with the product team, government stakeholders, and other contractors to build new systems and make improvements to existing systems.
- Participate in planning and breaking down requirements into tasks.
- Implement new tools and practices that make the team more effective.
- Years of experience:
- 6+ years of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Enjoy mentoring and growing engineers.
- Experience leading a software development team working in an agile environment.
- Experience implementing team processes and building a collaborative team culture.
- Experience designing and implementing application architecture and systems that are highly scalable, available, and performant.
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative, growth mindset.
Things that aren't important to us
- Whether or not you have a CS or engineering degree.
- Whether or not you have Github contributions. (It's great if you do, but we don't expect it.)Whether or not you have worked at a well-recognized company.
Perks working with NAVA
● 20 days of PTO accrued, 13 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave
● NAVA covers 90% of medical premiums & 100% of vision & dental premiums for their employees
● 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave
● 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary
● Flexible work arrangements
● $1000 new home office set up budget and monthly phone allowance
● $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget
● Equity stock options
● Employee referral program
● Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
● Life and Accidental Death
● Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative and vibrant culture fostering remote work!
Remote or from one of Nava’s offices in DC or SF.
Remote work locations: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington.
*If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work. Learn more about where we are today and hope to be by 2025.
Please contact the recruiting team at email@example.com if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.