Nava Roles - Delivery – Creative / Design /
Nava is a consultancy and public benefit corporation working to make government services simple, effective, and accessible to all. Since 2013, federal, state, and local government agencies have trusted Nava to build transformative digital services to help people access public benefits. Meeting our mission is an opportunity to restore trust between people and public institutions. We focus on populations that are the least protected because the stakes are higher.
As a client services company, we work with government agencies to improve how people apply for benefits, navigate their health care, and more. We bill for our time, selling our expertise and problem-solving methodology to government clients. Our clients hire us to help improve their products and services so that their users and beneficiaries have a better customer experience.
These end-users—the humans who benefit from our work—are at the core of everything we do. We research beneficiaries’ needs to help our government clients better deliver on their missions, providing everyone at Nava opportunities to do meaningful, impactful work.
Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we’re looking for a Designer/Researcher to help drive this mission forward.
As a Designer/Researcher at Nava, you’ll collaborate on the design and research efforts of our work with the government, for programs that affect millions of Americans. You’ll work on cross-functional teams, moving from concept to implementation and championing user needs with everything from user research to prototyping to design systems. You’ll bring us closer to the people we ultimately serve, helping deliver high quality work that is simple, empathetic, and accessible.
You will be working within the government ecosystem, collaborating dynamically with other government contractors and civil servants. This means you'll likely encounter different working styles, cultural norms, and be responsible for maintaining order and focus in complex stakeholder ecosystems.
What you'll do
- Apply a human-centered design mindset to challenges by relentlessly focusing on user needs
- Drive understanding of users, by running quantitative and qualitative user research initiatives and sharing findings with internal and external collaborators
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver design work, including discovery artifacts, diagrams, user flows, high fidelity prototypes, and design systems
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary Nava product teams and government staff to turn complex requirements into simple and accessible digital experiences
- At least two years of experience as a service designer or user experience designer working with product teams in a professional work environment
- Experience mapping and driving systemic improvements within complex service environments
- Experience in designing, testing, and implementing digital services
- Experience designing with web and responsive user interface best practices
- A relentlessly curious mindset that is never satisfied with easy answers and able to quickly pick up new knowledge
- Equal parts systems thinker and advocate for users
- Highly resourceful, reliable, organized, and detail-oriented
- Ability to think strategically around trade-offs and short term vs. long term benefits in complex ecosystems
- Ability to build and form strong collaborative relationships with the internal team and external partners
- An adaptive, empathetic, and positive mindset
- Excellent communication skills
Please include a portfolio with your application. Applications without an online portfolio will not be considered.
Compensation range: $87,550 - $126,000
● Must have lived in the United States for at least three (3) of the past five (5) years.
● An active green card or citizenship is required.
● Candidates who are offered a job with Nava must possess work authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa now or in the future.
● Offer of hire is contingent upon completion of a background check that includes a criminal record history review.
● Applicants selected for this position may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or applicants who are eligible for security clearances.
Perks working with Nava
● Your well-being is important to us, so we offer highly competitive benefits for medical, dental, and vision
● 20 days of PTO accrued, 12 days paid federal holidays, 5 floating holidays, unlimited sick leave
● 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave and weekly meal deliveries during leave
● Sabbatical Leave
● 401k contributions match at 4% of your salary
● Flexible work arrangements
● $1,000 new home office set up budget, monthly phone allowance
● Monthly partial reimbursement for utilities (where applicable)
● $2,000 annual tuition and professional development budget
● Equity stock options
● Employee referral program
● Commuter Benefits
● Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance
● Life and Accidental Death Insurance
● Diverse, inclusive, highly collaborative, and vibrant culture fostering remote work!
You can work in a hybrid work arrangement from one of Nava’s offices in NYC, DC, or San Francisco. We also have fully remote options if you reside in one of the following states:
Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin.
*If you are not living in one of the states listed above, unfortunately, you will not be considered for a position at this time.
Nava PBC equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, age, gender, religious or political beliefs, national origin or heritage, marital status, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion not only reflects our values as a public benefit corporation but also enriches our ability to do our work. Learn more about where we are today and hope to be by 2025.
Please contact the recruiting team at email@example.com if you would like to request reasonable accommodation during the application or interviewing process.
We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.