Business Analyst (DC)
Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we’re looking for a Business Analyst to help us execute on our mission of radically improving the digital services our government provides.
You’ll work with our government partners and across Nava’s engineering, design, and product teams to gather and analyze a broad spectrum of requirements for our critical projects that serve millions of Americans. You understand how the details of the project fit into the bigger picture, and take pride in working through ambiguous situations to deliver clarity and value to our team and government partners.
You’re able to question the nature of the requirements we collect and assemble a detailed picture of the business information we need in order to ship the highest quality product. You are tactical and can execute within fast loops of collaboration while gathering, researching, analyzing, organizing, communicating, and documenting information on our projects and requirements that affect us.
What you’ll do
- Work with the Nava team and our government partners to drive the development of fully fleshed out requirements across a broad spectrum; including business, policy, rules, regulations, technical, project, product, design, or security requirements
- Work collaboratively with the Nava product team to develop epics, user stories, and simplify core requirements
- Work collaboratively with the Nava product team and our government partners to develop and improve processes around handling inbound end-user feedback and strengthening the feedback loop between end-users, the Nava product team, and our government partners' product support team
- Triage incoming bugs, and work collaboratively with the Nava product manager to prioritize them accordingly
- Analyze and evaluate policies, rules, and regulations for implications to our work and product development
- Analyze business metrics and raw data and reports to discover key insights around user pain points
- Capture and communicate requirements, dependencies, and other important information that affects our work and the work of our partners in a way that is optimized for understanding, clarity, and exhibits a high degree of polish
- Pursue understanding and investigate parts of the system where we require additional knowledge, communicating and capturing that information for other team members to understand
- Be the requirements expert in the room in meetings with the product team and with our government partners, following up on open questions quickly and effectively
- Close all loops of communication and produce deliverables with a high degree of reliability, dependability, and speed while working on multiple, parallel workstreams
- Help the product team map ambiguous or little-understood landscapes and policy areas, structuring that research to support product insights
What we're looking for
- At least one year of experience as a business analyst within a professional, multidisciplinary work environment
- Experience in management consulting, startups, or government policy a plus
- Experience gathering, analyzing, communicating, and advocating for requirements
- Experience working and driving decision-making with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to translate complex technical systems and requirements into simple, easy-to-understand language to non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to translate government policy and complex business logic into clear, comprehensive technical requirements to the Nava product execution team
- Resourceful and driven approach to research, data analysis, and requirement development
- Ability to derive clarity from ambiguity and convey complex information simply
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple tasks at once, respond to tight timelines, and operate effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail, including the ability to spot edge cases, tiny policy details, and potential product risks
- Strong relationship development and collaboration skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Willingness to travel to client sites in the DC metro region 1-3 times a week
We're a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous compensation and equity packages and value a healthy work/life balance.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Nava. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note that we participate in E-Verify and upon hire, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.