Infrastructure Engineer (DC, SF, NYC, Remote)
Nava Roles - Engineering – Infrastructure
Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we’re looking for experienced infrastructure engineers to help drive this mission forward.
You will work on a small team, helping to improve and manage all aspects of our systems, which are deployed on AWS. We make heavy use of tools such as Docker, Packer, Terraform, Jenkins, and Statsd/Graphite/Grafana and we continually evaluate new technologies as they become production-ready for government contexts.
You'll be responsible for pushing the limits of these critical systems, from Billion User Load Tests to achieving and maintaining sub-millisecond transaction times. By doing this, you’ll help ensure that Nava continues delivering services that millions of Americans depend on. You care deeply about working on technology that affects people’s lives, and are passionate about building and maintaining large-scale systems that are well-designed, fast, scalable, and secure.
You can work remotely, or from one of Nava’s offices in DC, SF, or NYC.
Opportunities and Challenges
You will be working within the government ecosystem, which means working, sometimes closely, with other government contractors and civil servants. Working with people outside of your company means you'll likely encounter different working styles and cultural norms. At the same time, working as part of a larger team allows us to deliver on projects of larger scale and complexity.
The government also imposes a level of bureaucracy that is typically not present in a company of our size in the private sector. We operate in a regulated environment, where checks and compliance is built into the process of building software. This can make the path to production slower and some decisions, such as tools and processes, lie outside of our control. However, beyond writing code, finding and recommending ways to improve the way government software is built is one of the highest-leverage ways we help fulfill our mission.
You will be working with legacy systems. While our work is to build new systems with up-to-date technology, we have to do that within an existing ecosystem. Our work is building functional, resilient software for production. We don't build flashy prototypes that don't work for real people. This usually means getting to know legacy systems, often with poor documentation and unreliable narrators, and trying to determine how to replicate the systems' behavior or how to integrate with these systems. This is a great opportunity for engineers who enjoy software archaeology. If you care deeply about how software systems work over time, and building systems for longevity and resilience, this work is for you.
Who we’re looking for
You are a reliable, experienced engineer who cares deeply about building software that makes a real difference in people's lives, and is keen to grapple with the complexities and trade-offs involved in building government software. You prefer using proven technologies to build well-designed systems that are scalable, performant, and secure.
You enjoy working on cross-functional teams, and collaborating with others, and you are able to direct yourself and work independently. You have empathy for the people who rely on your work, and you care about how your behavior affects others. You are humble and you value critical feedback and personal growth. You are comfortable receiving and giving kind, candid feedback.
Beyond coding ability, communication and teamwork skills are paramount. You must be able to communicate clearly and professionally in writing, in person, and through online tools, especially because we work with government stakeholders and other contractors.
You exhibit good judgment and are able to adapt to new situations well. You may encounter situations that no one on your team or at Nava has encountered before. You take responsibility and are able to persist through ambiguity to get to a solution.
What you’ll do
- Work with fellow Infrastructure Engineers to build and maintain our production infrastructure to ensure ongoing reliability while maximizing development team efficiency
- Troubleshoot and debug infrastructure, network, and operating system issues
- Build and maintain operations software which automates the configuration, provisioning, deployment and monitoring of our core systems
- Manage security systems, linux file system permissions and network firewalls
- Perform automated deployments to create new or update existing production environments
- Set up and maintain alarm systems for notifications on error conditions
- Join our on-call rotation as a first line of defense during production issues
What we're looking for
- Previous experience maintaining a medium or larger scale production system.
- Significant experience in one or more of the following areas: Cloud infrastructure, Unix/Linux, Scripting, or Security
- A thoughtful, adaptive, and collaborative mindset
- Understanding of networks, HTTP
- Ability to use the shell to achieve practical aims. E.g. navigate the shell, SSH into machines, create SSH keys, read log files, move files, and start/stop services, search in files, change permissions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, technical and otherwise
- Ability to pick up and learn new development and operations skills
- Experience: Minimum of 3 years
- Education: Due to contractual requirements, this role requires a Bachelor's Degree (in any discipline).
- Residency: Lived in United States at least 3 years out of the last 5 years
- You will be required to obtain a public trust clearance.
We're a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous benefits and equity.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Nava. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.