Infrastructure Engineer (DC, SF, NYC)
Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we’re looking for experienced infrastructure engineers to help drive this mission forward.
You will work on a small team, helping to improve and manage all aspects of our systems, which are deployed on AWS. We make heavy use of tools such as Docker, Packer, Terraform, Jenkins, and Statsd/Graphite/Grafana and we continually evaluate new technologies as they become production-ready for government contexts.
You'll be responsible for pushing the limits of these critical systems, from Billion User Load Tests to achieving and maintaining sub-millisecond transaction times. By doing this, you’ll help ensure that Nava continues delivering services that millions of Americans depend on. You care deeply about working on technology that affects people’s lives, and are passionate about building and maintaining large-scale systems that are well-designed, fast, scalable, and secure.
What you’ll do
- Work with fellow Infrastructure Engineers to build and maintain our production infrastructure to ensure ongoing reliability while maximizing development team efficiency
- Troubleshoot and debug infrastructure, network, and operating system issues
- Build and maintain operations software which automates the configuration, provisioning, deployment and monitoring of our core systems
- Manage security systems, linux file system permissions and network firewalls
- Perform automated deployments to create new or update existing production environments
- Set up and maintain alarm systems for notifications on error conditions
- Join our on-call rotation as a first line of defense during production issues
What we're looking for
- Previous experience maintaining a medium or larger scale production system
- Significant experience in one or more of the following areas: Cloud infrastructure, Unix/Linux, Scripting, or Security
- A thoughtful, adaptive, and collaborative mindset
- Understanding of networks, HTTP
- Ability to use the shell to achieve practical aims. E.g. navigate the shell, SSH into machines, create SSH keys, read log files, move files, and start/stop services, search in files, change permissions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, technical and otherwise
- Ability to pick up and learn new development and operations skills
We're a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous compensation and equity packages and value a healthy work/life balance.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Nava. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.