DevOps Engineer (DC, SF, NYC)
Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we’re looking for experienced systems engineers to help drive this mission forward.
You will work on a small team to manage aspects of the systems we build: the virtual machines, operating systems, and build systems that run our application code along with the infrastructure management code and platforms that we use to maintain those systems. You'll be responsible for pushing the limits of critical systems, from billion user load tests to achieving sub-millisecond transaction times. By doing this, you’ll help ensure that Nava continues delivering services that millions of Americans depend on.
You care deeply about working on technology that affects people’s lives, and are passionate about building and maintaining large-scale systems that are well-designed, fast, scalable, and secure.
What you’ll do
- Work with fellow DevOps Engineers to build and maintain our production infrastructure to ensure ongoing reliability while maximizing development team efficiency
- Troubleshoot and debug infrastructure, network, and operating system issues
- Build and maintain operations software which automates the configuration, provisioning, deployment and monitoring of our core systems
- Manage security systems, linux file system permissions and network firewalls
- Perform automated deployments to create new or update existing production environments
- Set up and maintain alarm systems for notifications on error conditions
- Join our on-call rotation as a first line of defense during production issues
What we’re looking for
- Solid experience with Unix/Linux system and tools
- Significant experience working with Amazon Web Services, or an infrastructure management service of similar complexity (ie Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Computing)
- Previous experience maintaining a medium scale production system
- Ability to troubleshoot infrastructure related problems
- Familiarity with operations like backups, restores, and access management
- Familiarity with IP networking: topology, TCP, UDP, SSL, firewalls
- Familiarity with infrastructure level security and access management
- Familiarity with release and configuration management
- A thoughtful, adaptive, and collaborative mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, technical and otherwise
- If located in SF or NYC, travel to DC is required
We're a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous compensation and equity packages and value a healthy work/life balance.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Nava. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.