Business Operations Lead (DC, SF, NYC)
Nava is at the forefront of reimagining how our government serves its people, and we’re looking for a Business Operations Lead to help us execute on critical company efforts across our business, financial, legal, and contracting goals.
You'll work with leadership to oversee and set strategy for disciplined and precise business operations that impact the entire company. You’ll be responsible for ensuring Nava’s overall business health by making sure the company is executing precisely on all business, financial, and legal fronts.
You are a strategic thinker and have the ability to make thoughtful decisions while considering their impact across multiple teams, both internally and externally. You are fearless at absorbing knowledge and frameworks in complex, new knowledge domains. You are highly organized, reliable, and care deeply about building sustainable, culture-conscious businesses.
What you'll do
- Be responsible for ensuring all core business operations are being executed precisely and on-time – taxes, compliance, federal and local filings, insurance, payroll, and ad hoc corporate needs
- Ensure Nava’s financial health through financial modeling and projections, financial strategy and pricing, tracking and reporting, and ensuring books are accurately kept
- Operationalize spending at Nava in a culturally conscious way
- Develop strategy, structure, and manage Nava’s approach to employee equity, stock options, and compensation models
- Form negotiation strategy and represent Nava’s interests in discussions and negotiations about government contracts, subcontracts, and office leases
- With input from leadership, execute on contract and contract vehicle proposals
- Review and strengthen Nava’s contracts, leases, and other legal documents
- Manage Nava’s interactions with its corporate and federal contracting lawyers
- Manage Nava’s interactions with its prime and subcontractors during the proposal and business development stages, forming strong relationships while also representing Nava’s interests
- Perform a program management role on Nava’s active contracts, holding an integrated view of delivery and finance
- Manage team members who support business operations, finance, and contracting
What we're looking for
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative, and positive mindset
- Experience with successfully defining approach to business operations and financial operations at a small to mid-sized company (30+ employees)
- Strong knowledge of corporate and financial legal requirements
- Experience managing cashflow, creating financial models, and operationalizing spending policies
- Ability to execute tactically on various business operations tasks – e.g., working with CPAs to file corporate taxes, ensuring payroll is run on time, managing Quickbooks and financial reports, and other ad hoc business needs
- An understanding of Silicon Valley compensation and equity structures and experience managing a company’s shares and options
- Experience reviewing and negotiating business contract terms and other legal documents such as contracts and leases
- Experience managing and leading individuals or teams
- Ability to build and form strong relationships with external partners
- Highly resourceful, reliable, and detail-oriented
- Comfortable with ambiguous, rapidly-evolving environments with many parallel threads
We're a small team working to radically improve our government, so everyone that joins us has a direct impact on the direction and success of Nava. We are stewards – we hold a deep responsibility towards the systems that we work with. We are a community – we value collaboration both within our teams and with the many hardworking people within government. We offer generous compensation and equity packages and value a healthy work/life balance.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Nava. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.