Data Science Internship
Come work with talented people at Nova! We are a post series A Silicon Valley venture backed growth startup with its headquarters located in downtown San Francisco. At Nova, we’re on a mission to make financial access easier, no matter where you’re from or where you go. The founding team consists of immigrants and we’ve seen firsthand how hard it can be to start your life in a new place. Join us to make a more integrated world, creating bridges (not walls) to new places for equal opportunity.
We're connecting credit reporting agencies and identity databases across the world into a single cross-border data hub. We make this information available through a standardized and modern API to unlock financial services, housing, and other services for immigrants around the world. In effect, we are creating the first and only global infrastructure for financial identity to move across the world.
We are looking for a Mandarin speaking intern who wants to put their data science expertise to the test in a one-of-a-kind opportunity to build a Chinese credit score with an incredible team. Credit scores can be developed using a variety of consumer data using an almost equally diverse range of statistical modeling and cutting-edge data science techniques like boosted methods, SVMs, or other models. An effective score must not only achieve predictive performance targets, but also satisfy regulatory and compliance criteria. You will become an expert on how to use data science in a regulated business setting; a key skill to have for every data science project at a company.
You are a great fit if you...
- are pursuing a PhD in a data science/statistics/analytic field,
- live for statistical modeling, logistic regression, and machine learning techniques,
- have fluency in mandarin, including capacity to communicate/explain technical topics,
- have a conceptual understanding of behavioral data modeling and applications,
- and if you want to work with team members who are having fun as well!
- Diversity: Nova is committed to promoting diversity in its hiring as well as in all its company practices.
- Location: San Francisco, in our awesome mid-market office. You may need to travel to China for 2 weeks.
- Time commitment & salary: part-time OR full-time hourly commitment a week for $35-40/hr (depending on experience).
- Duration project: up to 12 weeks. Start of the project is in May.
Learnings that you'll gain
- Deep knowledge of U.S.-based credit data and modeling practices, lending and regulatory dynamics.
- Scoring model design and construction - exploring the ‘art vs. science’ tensions in order to deliver a business-ready application.
- Cross functional and USA-to-China cultural leadership and communication skills
- And much more related to working at a start-up!
People move. Credit history doesn’t. We’re changing that.