Staff Software Engineer (Backend)
New York, NY /
At Nova Credit, our mission is to power a more fair and inclusive financial system for the world. Nova Credit’s diverse global team is stitching together the world's credit data into a single network to unlock financial opportunities for immigrants and other populations historically excluded from the credit system. We’ve built a platform that enables lenders to access a single, predictive cross-border credit database to help enable underwriting decisions. We are backed by leading investors, including Kleiner Perkins, General Catalyst, and Index Ventures.
This is a full-time role and can be fully remote anywhere in the contiguous U.S. For a more in-depth look at our engineering culture, check out our page on Key Values.
- Support and mentor the engineers on the team
- Partner with the engineering manager for technical roadmap and direction
- Work collaboratively with Product, Data, and other engineering teams to enable short-term deliverables and long-term strategic initiatives
- Design, extend, improve, and manage the complexity of our global financial data system (APIs, services, integrations)
- Deliver high-quality solutions and features with speed and end-to-end ownership of your projects
- 10+ years of relevant experience, including experience at a high-growth or early-stage startup
- Strong collaboration skills with both internal and external stakeholders to discover requirements and deliver a solution
PREFERRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience with core parts of our stack (Node.JS, Express, React, ES6, Typescript, Python, Postgres, Terraform, AWS)
- Experience at a fintech startup
- Experience with ETLs & close collaboration with data science teams
- Build new APIs or iterate our existing production APIs
- Launch new integrations with credit bureaus or data suppliers
- Build new tools for our customer success or data teams
NOVA CREDIT’S INTERVIEW PROCESS:
- Step 1: The phone screen gives us a chance to learn more about you, your goals, and your interests. It’s also a chance for you to learn about us and get answers to your questions.
- Step 2: The technical assessment (a one-hour coding challenge) is intended to give you a taste of what you’ll be doing at Nova Credit. We avoid asking algorithmic questions, so you can expect to be asked to complete more practical tasks, such as working with an existing API, parsing JSON responses, or building a UI component.
- Step 3: The final round will give you the opportunity to meet additional engineers, product managers, have a conversation with your potential manager, and expose you to the Nova Credit culture. It is broken down into three one-hour technical sessions (coding challenges/systems design sessions) and a forty-five minute chat with the hiring manager.
Base Salary Range for U.S.-based candidates: $198,000 - $234,000, dependent on the candidate’s individual experience, skills, education, location, and qualifications.
We consider all elements of compensation as a part of the value we provide to Novans. This may include base salary, equity grants, incentive compensation for eligible roles, professional development, flexible PTO, and tenure rewards. We offer U.S.-based Novans competitive, employer-subsidized medical, dental, and vision plans, in addition to mental health and wellness benefits and a range of other benefits & perks.
Everyone is welcome at Nova Credit. We are an equal-opportunity employer where our diversity and inclusion are central pillars to our company strategy. We look for applicants who understand, embrace, and thrive in a multicultural and increasingly globalized world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.