Head of Finance
San Francisco or New York /
Nova Credit is a leading fintech company making financial access easier for newcomers to the US. Founded by immigrants set on solving a global problem faced by 50+ million people, Nova Credit emerged from a Stanford University research project and is now the world’s premier cross-border credit bureau. We’re passionate about financial inclusion, and are committed to building a diverse and fulfilling work culture.
As our first finance hire, you’ll be a force-multiplier to our company as we enter our next chapter of growth. You’ll build a new function from scratch, and become the right hand of all teams in enabling them to align with our financial trajectory. You will not only ensure timely, accurate and compliant financial processes and reporting, but also play a pivotal role in driving financial performance, surfacing actionable insights and enabling the company to scale. This role reports to our co-founder & COO.
We’re looking for a hands-on and creative team-member. A successful candidate is someone who can develop expertise on a wide range of Nova Credit finance subjects, is able to develop cross-functional trusted relationships, and who can inject that DNA into the rest of our team.
- Professionalizing our finance operations through the refinement of our accounting, forecasting, budgeting, expensing, and cash management processes and systems. An example of this would be to build the core forecasting model for Nova Credit, determining the cadence of updates and building it as a tool to determine burn rate. You will develop the foundation for this company to better understand its performance and for it to be set-up to scale seamlessly.
- Developing financial insights and KPIs so that finance can become a true business driver. You will not only be setting the parameters for our business’s operations but also reflecting on learnings and identifying strategies. An example of this could be not just determining the appropriate marketing budget, but then identifying areas of different RoI to determine where best to invest marketing budget going forwards, and sharing these as part of our board materials. You will play a major role in developing the company’s strategy.
- Nose for value: As the first finance hire in the company, you will bring your depth of expertise to the organization in developing the roadmap for where finance needs to invest / not invest. You will develop the finance team’s roadmap of projects and strategic priorities -- which could include everything from deep-dives into sales taxes to subsidiary management to compensation structures. You will be an empowered leader here, who is trusted to drive the finance vision as well as execute it.
Over the longer term, we expect this role to take on additional strategic finance components which may include fundraising or corporate development when the time is right.
- 8+ years of related accounting or finance experience, with technical knowledge of US GAAP and ongoing curiosity about its nuances
- Experience in-house experience in finance (e.g., has managed finance operations or FP&A) including evolving processes, systems, and planning to support a growth stage company. Preference for experience that includes startups, earlier stage, private companies.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to effectively partner with leadership, cross-functional teams and external contractors
- Passion for enabling financial inclusion, and helping immigrants achieve their dreams
Besides the competitive salary and equity package, 16-weeks of parental leave, unlimited PTO, and much more, we are committed to your development as a Novan and offering an unparalleled growth environment in a brilliant, high performing team.
All are welcomed at Nova Credit. We are an equal opportunity employer where our diversity, equity and inclusion are central pillars to our company strategy. We look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural and increasingly globalized world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.