Senior Backend Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Neighborly is a fast-growing, venture-backed startup headquartered in downtown San Francisco, with offices in Boston, New York, and Kansas City. Positioned at the intersection of technology, finance and government, Neighborly is modernizing public finance — reconnecting cities and public agencies with their constituents, and unlocking new sources of capital for infrastructure projects like schools, parks, community solar and municipal broadband. With Neighborly, residents can invest directly in their communities and the civic projects they care about. We are making the $1B dollar per day municipal bond market more efficient, transparent and accessible.
Our software engineers design and build the service architecture that enables local governments to efficiently raise the money they need for public infrastructure, individual investors to direct their dollars toward public projects that matter to them, and investment institutions to leverage the best technology to maximize impact portfolios for their clients.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for architecting and building robust and scalable backend services to facilitate millions of dollars of bond transactions on our platform. We’re currently re-architecting our backend in Go/GRPC, and building a public API for banks to trade on our platform in an automated way. You will have the chance to build things the right way and make a huge impact by driving technical initiatives with your experience. As a Senior Engineer, you will also serve as a mentor to junior engineers and a critical player in our recruiting efforts.
- You are hungry, humble and curious
- You have an intrinsic desire to learn new languages and frameworks that expand your stack and help the team build at breakneck speed
- You want a highly collaborative environment comprised of diverse subject matter experts in finance, government and tech
- You care about communities being able to build critical public projects that improve infrastructure and increase resilience
- You want to be part of the early stages of a company where everything you build matters!
What You'll Do
- Design clean RESTful APIs for bond trading
- Design scalable and sustainable service architecture to deliver product features. Examples are: secure data store to hold customers’ sensitive data; RESTful API and RPC framework; data remodeling and migration to meet evolving business requirements
- Implement designs by delivering high-quality code and leveraging cutting-edge open-source technologies
- Language: Go (new stack), Ruby (old stack), TypeScript (developer productivity tools), Python (data prototyping)
- Storage: PostGres, Redis
- API: Rest, GraphQL, GRPC, Thrift
- AWS (EC2, S3, RDS, Elasticsearch, Lambda, Route 53, ELB, VPC)
Why We Love to Work Here
- Mission driven and curious co-workers that we actually like to hang out withFreedom to get your work done the way you know best
- Awesome downtown offices in SF, NY, BOS, and KC
- Daily catered lunch and snacks
- Generous company support to ‘level up’ (professional development)
- Flexible remote work policy
- Unlimited vacation
- You’re a full-stack generalist or experienced backend engineer with 3 years of professional experience.
- You want to solve extremely challenging and open-ended problems.
- You are a quick learner.
- You are interested in open-source technologies, and are excited about contributing back to the open-source community.
Though we maintain exceptionally high standards for talent, Neighborly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We don't discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. If you have the skills we need and the ambition to grow fast with us, that's all that matters.