Senior Data Engineer
San Francisco / New York
Neighborly is a fast-growing, venture-backed Public Finance startup headquartered in downtown San Francisco, with offices in New York and Kansas City. Positioned at the intersection of technology, finance and government, we develop exceptional technologies to radically modernize public finance, the $1 billion per-day, 200 year-old market that powers vital public projects like schools, parks, and next-generation infrastructure. Our solutions positively impact the operational efficiency of public finance, how our communities evolve, and how citizens participate in their democracy. We all come from different backgrounds and ways of thinking but share a passion for using our skills to improve our communities.
As a Senior Data Engineer at Neighborly, you'll help pioneer work that can optimize the operations of governing bodies across the country. Our industry demands the highest level of accuracy, transparency, and data integrity.
- 1+ year experience with Apache Spark
- 5+ years software development experience
- 5+ years experience with the Hadoop ecosystem, or similar
- Demonstrated success in implementing production-ready machine learning models and workflows
- Proficiency in Scala and experience with JVM fine-tuning and/or JVM languages
- Extensive SQL and NoSQL database experience including database architecture and query optimization
- Familiarity with using a range of different Amazon Web Services solutions
- Experience with Agile methodology and iterative planning processes
- Broad understanding of core math concepts such as linear algebra and experience applying them with code
- Familiarity with a broad range of open-source ecosystems of tools, libraries and frameworks, and interest in contributing to these types of projects
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Genuine passion about using your craft as a force for good in the world
- Experience with stream-based data analytics frameworks such as Apache Storm, Spark Streaming and or Kafka
- Experience with clustering technologies such as YARN, Mesos, or similar, and with cluster deployment and configuration from Linux
- Familiarity with the latest generation of Machine Learning algorithms, including NLP and Deep Learning algorithms
- Understanding of tradeoffs and implementations of OLAP, OLTP and ACID databases
- Basic understanding of financial markets, experience with programming for financial applications, and/or experience with time-series data
- Experience with web development stacks, including backend services and advanced frontend JS/HTML/CSS applications
Neighborly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We maintain exceptionally high standards for talent and recognize that there are many paths to developing expertise. We don't discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. If you have the skills we need and the ambition to grow fast with us, that's all that matters.