Senior Data Engineer
San Francisco / New York
Neighborly is a fast-growing, venture-backed Public Finance startup headquartered in downtown San Francisco, with offices in New York and Kansas City. Positioned in the intersection of technology, finance and government, we develop exceptional technologies to radically modernize public finance, the $1 billion per-day, 200 year-old market that powers vital public projects like schools, parks, and next-generation infrastructure. Our solutions positively impact the operational efficiency of public finance, how our communities evolve, and how citizens participate in their democracy.
You're a Senior Data Engineer who has worked with teams building sophisticated workloads, ETLs, and machine learning models. Because we are a startup, you would get to work closely with our data scientists, our product team, our business development team, and our engineers on other teams of varying specializations. We want folks who are excited about the prospect of revolutionizing public finance by building state-of-the-art tools for this very outdated industry.
As a Senior Data Engineer with us, you'll help optimize the operation of not only Neighborly but of governing bodies across the country. Our industry demands the highest level of accuracy, transparency, and data integrity. We integrate many forms of data, including large financial datasets, realtime streaming data, public civic data, private proprietary datasets, and user data produced by our web applications.
- 1+ year experience with Apache Spark
- 3+ years implementing Machine Learning models and workflows
- 5+ years experience with the Hadoop family of solutions, or similar
- 5+ years SQL database experience
- 5+ years software development experience
- 3+ years Agile methodology experience
- 2+ years Amazon Web Services experience
- Strong Scala and Java experience
- Strong understanding of SQL and database architecture design
- Strong math fundamentals
- Strong familiarity with open-source ecosystems of tools, libraries and frameworks
- Genuine passion about using your craft as a force for good in the world
- Strong understanding of Finance or Economics
- Experience with Ruby or similar scripting languages
- Experience with graph databases or a good comprehension of Graph Theory / Network Science
- Experience with stream-based data analytics frameworks such as Apache Storm or Spark Streaming
- Experience with clustering technologies such as YARN, Mesos, or similar
- Experience with NLP algorithms
- Experience with R or Julia
- Experience with sophisticated Excel usage
- Familiarity with the latest generation of Machine Learning algorithms, including Deep Learning algorithms
- Experience with web development stacks, including backend services and advanced frontend JS/HTML/CSS applications
- Experience with a variety of programming languages, including scripting languages and Functional Programming languages
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with Apple desktop environments
- Experience with the Databricks Enterprise platform
Though we maintain exceptionally high standards for talent, Neighborly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We don't discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. If you have the skills we need and the ambition to grow fast with us, that's all that matters.