San Francisco / New York
Neighborly is a fast-growing, venture-backed public finance startup headquartered in downtown San Francisco, with offices in New York and Kansas City. Positioned in the intersection of technology, finance and government, we develop exceptional technologies to radically modernize public finance, the $1 billion per-day, 200 year-old market that powers vital public projects like schools, parks, and next-generation infrastructure. Our solutions positively impact the operational efficiency of public finance, how our communities evolve, and how citizens participate in their democracy.
We are looking for motivated full-stack engineers who are excited about the prospect of revolutionizing Public Finance by building state-of-the-art tools for an industry underserved by technology.
As an engineer at Neighborly, you'll help craft products that offer a world-class user experience and process large amounts of data and money. To be successful, you will need to be productive at bringing wisdom and experience to a passionate team. You're someone who can ship advanced software on your own but also pair-program with engineers of varying levels of experience.
What You'll Do
- Architect, develop and scale highly-available software technologies
- Pair-program with other engineers
- Foster a productive and principled engineering culture
- Agile team experience
- 3+ years of software development experience
- 1+ years Ruby on Rails experience
- 1+ years of SQL and ORM experience
- 1+ years experience with testing patterns and tools
- 3+ years CSS experience
- Strong familiarity with open-source ecosystems of tools, libraries and frameworks
- Genuine passion about using your craft as a force for good in the world
- Experience in startup environments
- Experience with Node.js and Node.js-based tools
- Finance or Economics experience
- Experience with devops automation tools
- "NoSQL database" experience, especially with Redis, Elasticsearch, and/or graph databases
- University degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Symbolic Systems, or similar
- Experience building Big Data or sophisticated ETL solutions
- Experience with wireframing tools, such as Sketch or Balsamiq, and Interaction Design patterns
- Open-source contributions
- Experience with a variety of programming languages, including statically-typed and Functional Programming languages
- Mobile application development experience
- Experience with containerized services using Docker or similar
- Good understanding of cyber-security threats and security practices
- Experience with Apple desktop environments
Though we maintain exceptionally high standards for talent, Neighborly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We don't discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. If you have the skills we need and the ambition to grow fast with us, that's all that matters.