VP of People
San Francisco / Boston, MA
Neighborly connects communities with capital to fund vital public projects like schools, libraries and parks, and next-generation infrastructure like fiber-optic broadband networks. A fast-growing, venture-backed startup at the intersection of tech, finance, and government, Neighborly develops technology that makes it easier for investors to direct their dollars towards the world positive projects that matter to them, and easier for communities to finance critical infrastructure.
We're looking for an accomplished, hands-on, Vice President of People to build and drive the culture, HR, and team development function. You will have the opportunity to build the systems that power a culture that values curiosity, humility, and hunger for excellence. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will be a member of our leadership team and play a pivotal role in this next stage of our growth.
Our Neighborhood is greater than the sum of its Neighbors. We combine civic dedication, deep technology and infrastructure experience, and financial expertise to serve communities and improve the fabric of civic life; we have worked with leading governments, venture-backed technology companies, and top financial institutions. We approach our work with humility, integrity and intellectual rigor; we are agile and relentless in executing our mission; we know that building a fast growing start-up requires grit and tenacity.
We’re looking for a natural collaborator who is at home working in a startup environment and focused on implementing solutions to build an outstanding place to work where people can do the best work of their lives. Neighborly is headquartered in downtown San Francisco, with offices in Boston and New York.
- Identify and implement fun and motivational activities to promote company culture to recruit and retain humble, hungry, curious employees
- Develop and execute strategic HR initiatives and projects
- Stretch employee skill sets with interesting challenges marked with clear performance metrics
- Ensure a path for professional growth that motivates high-performing Neighbors to want to build their careers with us
- Provide training and resources that enable Neighbors to do their jobs well
- Develop, coordinate, and operate the recruiting, interviewing, and hiring machine with CEO, Chief of Staff, and Operations Manager
- Enhance the employee experience by engaging with employees and leaders at critical moments in the life cycle of the employment relationship such as development, accommodations, workplace threats, performance management
- Mediate conflicts, help Neighbors resolve problems effectively, escalate/involve leadership as needed
- Promote knowledge, understanding, and compliance with regard to employment basics, company policy, and relevant employment laws through coaching, presentations, and training
- Help administer Neighborly benefits, including medical, dental, vision insurance, and retirement programs; maintain any additional staff records as needed
- Ensure enrollment and compliance with federal and state programs (Worker's Compensation, Unemployment Insurance, Family and Medical Leave Act and COBRA) and counsel employees applying for benefits under these programs
- Alongside counsel and external consultants, ensure compliance with other federal, state, and local labor regulations (wage regulations, equal employment opportunity laws, etc.)
- Assist with and respond to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, leaves of absences, payroll and benefits issues.