Director of Business Development, Neighborly Investments
Neighborly is a fast-growing, venture-backed startup headquartered in downtown San Francisco, with offices in Boston, New York, and Kansas City. Positioned at the intersection of technology, finance and government, Neighborly is modernizing public finance — reconnecting cities and public agencies with their constituents, and unlocking new sources of capital for infrastructure projects like schools, parks, community solar and municipal broadband. With Neighborly, residents can invest directly in their communities and the civic projects they care about. We are making the $1B dollar per day municipal bond market more efficient, transparent and accessible.
The Director of Business Development will work closely and directly with the President of Neighborly Investments to play a critical role in driving strategic objectives at the company. You're essentially like an extension to her -- you own business development, managing client relationships and stewarding prospects through the sales process; you run weekly business meetings; you project manage team initiatives, you go to meetings on her behalf; you prepare decks for prospective investors, the executive team, and the company; you co-author thought leadership pieces, and you ensure alignment across all functions within the Neighborly Investments organization. The ideal candidate is a strong communicator, not afraid to roll up their sleeves and tackle problems, understands discretion, and can work with Executive stakeholders.
What you'll do
- Investor Management. You'll work closely and communicate with our investor relationships. You'll create board decks, take notes, and draft communications as needed. You'll also respond to inbound investor requests, will help write investor updates, and manage the overall relationship.
- Business Development. You will cultivate, nurture and grow a robust pipeline of potential investors. Organization and Accountability. You'll organize and run NI’s business ensuring presentations are prepared and the appropriate information is disseminated.
- Program Management & Strategic Projects. You'll own special projects each month that will require a strategic vision paired with an analytical mindset. Examples of projects are: assessing pricing models, staying on top of competitive landscape, evaluating new product opportunities and their financial models, and more.
- Become proficient at using company-wide tools including Bloomberg, Excel, Asana, Google suite, and Neighborly product
- Understand the investor pipeline and manage the business development calendar in order to close business
- Create and quarterback a process for client reporting
- Build content such as drafting the investor letter commentary and proofread/upgrade all credit vignettes to be included in client statements
- Work with the Director of Communications and Neighborly Investments President to author content for thought leadership pieces
- Onboard hubspot as our CRM and get full adoption across team
- Conduct market research and identify prospect targets
- Review and propose upgrades to marketing materials
- Taking full ownership of planning and facilitating Neighborly Investments' weekly business meeting
30 60 90 day milestones
In the first 30 days you will:
By 60 days, you will:
By 90 days, you will:
- You are hungry, humble and curious
- You want a highly collaborative environment comprised of diverse subject matter experts in finance, government and tech
- You connect well with people and build healthy network of good relationships.
- You care about communities being able to build critical public projects that improve infrastructure and increase resilience
- You want to be part of the early stages of a company where you have far reaching impact across the organization
Why we love to work here
- Mission driven and curious co-workers that we actually like to hang out with
- Freedom to get your work done the way you know best
- Awesome downtown offices in SF, NY, BOS, and KCDaily catered lunch and snacks
- Generous company support to ‘level up’ (professional development)
- Flexible remote work and vacation policy
- No meetings Tuesdays and Thursdays so we can get work done
- Minimum of 5-10 years of full-time work experience.
- Can Do Attitude. You're not afraid to roll up your sleeves in order to accomplish the task at hand.
- Relationship builder. Cultivate new and existing relationships to grow the company’s assets under management.
- Discretion. You understand the importance of credibility through confidentiality, dealing with extremely sensitive matters on a daily basis.
- Willingness to work hard to win. This is not a 9-5 job. We could sugarcoat this one, but we won't. You may be asked to attend some events at night, to join org meetings during the day, to travel to interview clients during the week, and do what it takes to get the job done.