South San Francisco, CA /
R&D – R&D /
NephroSant is a fast-paced diagnostic startup focused on applying the founding team’s years of clinical research expertise to improve global kidney health. Our mission is to translate the deep scientific and pathological insights into best-in-class noninvasive tests to address the hidden epidemic of chronic kidney disease which affects more than 10% of the world’s adult population.
We have created proprietary product pipelines and are currently developing multi-biomarker assays to monitor kidney injury conditions. We continue to build a dynamic, professional team and are looking for a highly motivated, talented, and passionate Scientist to assist in assay development and optimization. Because NephroSant is an early-stage company, this position would have the opportunity to collaborate closely with other R&D scientists, bioinformaticians, and clinical laboratory teams.
- Optimize current assays to improve sensitivity and reproducibility.
- Propose, research feasibility, and develop new diagnostic products.
- Assist in transferring assays from the R&D laboratory to the clinical laboratory.
- Provide bench side leadership in the R&D laboratory.
- Collaborate with other members of the scientific staff within and outside the R&D group, including academic collaborators, external consultants, and scientists.
- Independently design experiments, perform data analysis, and troubleshoot technical issues relating to assay development and quality.
- Maintain accurate and complete records.
- Write standard operating procedures (SOPs) and other documents including validation reports.
- Comply with all company SOPs and safety standards.
- May coordinate and prioritize workload for Research Associates.
- May write scientific publications in peer reviewed journals and present at conferences in collaboration with academic collaborators.
- Perform other related duties as needed and required by supervisors.
- Maintain confidentiality of customer and patient information.
Background and Experience
- PhD in Chemistry, Biology, Immunology, or related field with 1+ years of industry experience, or Master’s degree with 4+ years of industry experience, or Bachelor’s degree and 8+ years industry experience.
- Demonstrated ability to develop novel assays and apply problem-solving skills to complex issues.
- Experience with wide array of assay formats using different detection methods including absorbance, fluorescence, and chemiluminescence.
- Experience developing and optimizing ELISAs is strongly preferred.
- Experience developing assays for urine specimens is strongly preferred.
- Product development experience in a CLIA setting or FDA regulated environment is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a small team environment and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must have excellent trouble shooting, organization, and planning skills, and the ability to work under tight timeline.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills and ability to create documentation for protocols and procedures.
Not Required but Great to Have
- Experience extracting and quantifying cfDNA especially with urine samples is highly desirable.
- Experience with lab automation is highly desirable.
- Experience developing custom Ella Simple Plex Assays is desirable.
- Experience with Luminex assays and/or other bead-based assays is desirable.
- Ability to communicate across teams especially with bioinformaticians and statisticians is a strong plus.
- Project management and document control experience is preferred.
- Some supervisory experience is preferred.
- Note: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, stand and talk or hear.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, ability to adjust focus and viewing computer period monitors for an extended of time.
- Note: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Standard lab environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Interaction with laboratory equipment, samples, supplies, and laboratory personnel may be required whereby appropriate precautions are to be taken per the Company’s Safety and Injury, Illness and Prevention Plans.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
What we offer:
- Competitive Compensation Package, Including Stock Options
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits for Employee and Dependents
- 401(k) Plan
- FSA Medical and Dependent Care Plan
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Flexible PTO Policy
- Employer-Paid Life, Personal Accident and Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Referral Program
- Pet Insurance
- Student Loan Refinance
- Learning and Development Programs
NephroSant is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
Thank you for considering this opportunity at NephroSant. If this role sounds exciting, we would like to hear from you!