Technical Director - Games Studio
Los Angeles, California /
Gaming – Gaming /
We're looking for a Technical Director to lead the engineering efforts to build a new AAA game on the Unreal Engine. The TD will partner closely with the rest of the core leadership team (AD/GD/PD) and other team members to rapidly prototype and iterate towards a new game vision. We envision this role to start as an individual core contributor, writing code, building tools, defining workflows and asset pathways, to quickly achieve a gameplay prototype that delivers conviction around the game concept. It will then grow into an engineering leadership role on a full game team, to launch and support the game on the Netflix game service.
The ideal candidate should be excited about rolling up their sleeves and having a direct hand in creating the game, as well as building a strong, empowered engineering team. They should have game prototyping experience and have well-developed gameplay and design sensibilities. They are able to implement in the short term and bring industry-leading technical expertise as the product matures, looking forward to larger engineering, architecture and technology selection.
We're building the foundation for a small, but ambitious team of creators who are obsessed with creating memorable game moments that leave players telling their own stories for years to come. We’re looking for that group of key leaders who are aligned with our core values, and care deeply about the experiences they create as well as the people they make them with. Those who bias towards action and are energized by the learning that comes with bold experimentation at an agile pace. As a part of Netflix, we strive to hire the best and value integrity, excellence, respect, inclusion, and collaboration.
Now is an amazing time to join Netflix Game Studio as we seek to entertain our 200 million paid members in a really new way.
- Games development:
- Development Tooling:
- Technical Leadership: Leading the team to make technology and architecture decisions for both prototyping and a successful future final and live product. Ideally, experience and comfort with shifting and in-progress technologies and platforms.
- Team Leadership: Able to work across disciplines with minimum process to organize work and create predictability in an unpredictable space.
- People Management: Hire, build and manage this small, senior, multi-discipline team and ensure team focus and health.
-Interpret game design documentation and distill vision into core game features
-Experimentation and prototyping of projectile combat in first and third-person shooter game modes
-Iteration on metagame features governing game modes and cooperative and competitive interactions
-Experience with implementing AI systems for enemies and alliesImplement tunable systems and features that allow for easy iteration by designers and other development staff
-Ability to implement new features within Unreal Engine and extend existing functionalityIntegrate key third party plugins and tools into Unreal Engine workflows
-Identifying and building easy-to-use frameworks that enable designers and artists to enable rapid iteration.
-Easy creation and modifications of mechanic, camera, and control variations is key.
- 10+ years of experience shipping multiple AAA games
- Experience supporting a live service game, from development planning to delivery of content and features post-launch
- Experience prototyping and/or shipping one or more titles as a Technical Director or Lead Engineer, splitting time hands-on and supporting people as a manager, with a focus on excellent player experience
- Deep experience with first and/or third-person shooters
- Exceptional communication, cross-discipline collaboration, and leadership skills
- Extensive experience with UnrealEnginePassion for incubating, building, and shipping video games
- Strong product/design sense
- Strong understanding of lightweight production/team process
- Experience working with early or unreleased game platforms
- Full stack/backend services expertise
- Los Angeles Preferred (as the product needs demand)
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $150,000 - $500,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.