Software Engineer (L4/L5) - Audio Algorithms
Remote, United States /
Streaming – Content Engineering Core /
Is it too quiet? Is it too loud? Does the sound make sense with what you’re seeing? Are they speaking your language? Can you understand what’s being said? Do you feel immersed? Do you feel like you are there? These are the questions the Audio Algorithms team at Netflix tries to answer so that our members don’t have to think about the act of listening at all. Our team is responsible for answering these questions for the millions of hours of sound that are needed to produce and deliver great stories to our members around the globe.
We’re building new services that integrate studio workflows, audio signal processing, and machine learning for all the different ways sound is produced, understood, and distributed within Netflix productions and for our members. You will have the opportunity to influence, architect and own end-to-end what we build and how we scale.
We are looking for a Software Engineer who can build distributed microservice applications to enable innovative studio technology and break new ground in what’s possible for streaming audio. Successful candidates will be passionate about high quality software and high quality sound.
- You will be creating services that support signal processing, content analysis, and streaming technology that enable the audio production and delivery of Netflix content.
- You will work with a variety of teams that build out backend infrastructure and our studio production technology, but ultimately you will own the design, iterate on prototypes, and support production execution of the tools you build.
- Your work will support a range of audio applications in the connected studio leveraging your large-scale development experience and a background in streaming media.
- Finally, at Netflix, you own what you build – from design to fully developed solution, all running at Netflix scale.
- Strong competency in languages like Java, C++, Groovy, or Python backed by OO design principles.
- Experience in designing, developing, and running large scale distributed systems focusing on availability, observability, API design, and performance.
- Aptitude for problem solving that considers both technical proficiency and business impact, while working without rigid requirements or pre-defined engineering solutions.
- Familiarity with audio codecs, streaming protocols, or the fundamentals of a high quality streaming experience.
- A background in sound production, multimedia processing, or live and on-demand streaming.
- You play an instrument, love music, or generally enjoy the experience of quality sound.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $100,000 - $700,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.