Data Scientist (L5) - Applied Research, Consumer Insights
Los Angeles, California /
Streaming – Product Consumer Insights /
Netflix is one of the world's leading streaming entertainment services with 231 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, feature films and mobile games across a wide variety of genres and languages. We are revolutionizing how shows and movies are produced, pushing technological boundaries to efficiently deliver streaming video at a massive scale over the internet, and continuously improving and personalizing how content is presented around the globe.
We’re looking for a passionate Research Data Scientist to join our Consumer Insights Data Management & Analytics (DM&A) team. This team leverages technical expertise in applied data science, engineering, and solutions development to support a high-impact team of 90+ quantitative and qualitative researchers. The Consumer Insights team conducts cutting-edge research designed to help answer Netflix’s most complex business challenges. We work within a broad-based team of researchers, operations specialists, data scientists, and engineers to successfully complete diverse, high-quality research projects to provide vital data to collaborative initiatives that inspire action and innovation across the company.
In this role, you will leverage your expertise in statistics, causal inference, and research design to define robust and innovative sampling strategies, improve response rates, and mitigate or detect bias in consumer research. You will collaborate with researchers, data scientists, and engineers to build next-generation data pipelines, models, and products to ensure excellence in the quality and accessibility of our insights and help answer Netflix’s most complex business challenges. This is a high-impact role in which you will directly influence and establish scalable research programs at Netflix.
In this role, you will:
- Champion research innovation and establish a program culture of excellence in the conceptualization, design, analysis, and interpretation of consumer research in order to ensure the quality and actionability of our insights.
- Effectively leverage statistics causal inference frameworks to implement a scalable research recruitment and sampling strategy that enables global research across our Consumer Insights team.
- Work collaboratively and iteratively throughout the research lifecycle to support survey design, deployment, analysis, and interpretation.
- Consult with Legal and Privacy Engineering teams to ensure best practices in the collection, storage, retention and use of data collected across consumer surveys, focus groups, and other research methodologies.
- Partner with our product and message engineering teams to develop and adopt innovative methods of outreach for consumer research.
- Bring vision to a developing space, establishing best practices and develop dashboards, tools, or other data products to support consumer research at scale and increase the impact and efficiency of our CI team.
- Collaborate with Researchers, Engineers, and Data Scientists to conduct analyses and apply statistics and causal inference methods to answer specific day-to-day questions or support larger initiatives.
To be successful in this role, you have:
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Economics, or a related quantitative field or relevant industry experience.
- Strong statistical knowledge and intuition - ideally utilized in experimentation, market, consumer, or social research settings.
- Ability to communicate technical and statistical concepts clearly and concisely among audiences at various levels.
- Expert quantitative analysis, programming, and data manipulation skills using SQL, R and/or Python, and version control (Github, Stash).
- Experience building multi-step ETL jobs/data pipelines and working with job scheduling systems.
- Experience in building causal inference solutions is a plus
- Strong partnership skills and ability to execute and independently drive projects forward
- Experience working with 3rd party APIs for data ingestion is a plus.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $150,000 - $750,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.