Software Engineer (L5) - Distributed Systems - Telemetry
Los Gatos, California /
Streaming – Productivity Engineering /
Location: Los Gatos or US Remote only.
Who We Are
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with over 200 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Our platform provides seamless and personalized experiences to our global audience.
Our Observability group provides visibility into our systems and applications by collecting, storing, and analyzing telemetry data from our massive-scale distributed systems for 1000s of Netflix engineers, so they can monitor and troubleshoot their own services and applications, and ensure the best possible viewing experience for our customers.
We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Distributed Systems Engineer to join our Telemetry Engineering team in Observability at Netflix. As a member of our team, you will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining massive scale systems to collect, store, and query metrics, logs, and traces.
If you enjoy working in a unique culture of Freedom & Responsibility, designing and building critical systems at scale that are relied on across the organization, this is the role for you.
- Design, build, and maintain massively scalable systems to collect, store, and query billions of metrics, logs, and traces per day
- Work with cross-functional teams to integrate observability into our services and applications
- Develop and maintain SDKs, agents and services for automated collection, processing, and analysis of telemetry data
- Collaborate with other teams to identify and troubleshoot performance issues in our systems and applications
- Monitor and measure the quality and performance of our telemetry data and ensure its accuracy, completeness, and timeliness
- Stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and best practices in the field of observability and telemetry engineering
- Participate in the on-call rotation to ensure the availability and reliability of our telemetry systems
What You Bring to the Table
- 4+ years of experience working on large scale distributed systems, preferably in the field of telemetry or observability
- Strong knowledge of computer science fundamentals, including algorithms, data structures, and operating systems
- Experience working with large-scale data processing and database systems
- Proficiency in Java or Scala, and willingness to learn Scala if not used previously
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of projects
- A customer-focused attitude
- Experience with AWS is a plus
- Experience with observability and monitoring tools is a plus
Our culture is unique, and we tend to live by our values, allowing you to do your best work and grow. To learn more about Productivity Engineering, feel free to listen to this podcast.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $300,000 - $900,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
Sharing Is Caring
In this group, you'll have a chance to create software that is state of the art and foundational. Because of Netflix's desire to share technology and concepts, you'll be in the rare position of both working on this and sharing this knowledge with your peers outside Netflix. We believe this is unique to Netflix, and if it sounds amazing to you, we should talk.