Lead Animator, Games Studio
Los Angeles, California /
Gaming – Gaming /
About Our Team
We’re building a team of developers, artists, and storytellers to craft rich, engrossing, and cooperative action game experiences. Everyone at our studio, whether an industry vet or a new voice impacts each game through collaborative feedback, mutual respect, and creative empowerment. As part of the Netflix team, we strive to hire the best, and value integrity, excellence, respect, and inclusion. We’re looking for teammates to help establish a collaborative and empowering creative culture, and we’d love to hear from you.
About the Job
We are looking for an experienced Lead Animator with strong body mechanics, combat action choreography techniques, and storytelling skills, as well as an ability to work in a broad range of styles. We’re looking for the outstanding ability to portray believable physical movement, martial arts action, and performance of 3D characters. This position will work with the Art Director, Animators, Designers, and Engineerings to bring rich storytelling and exciting action gameplay to life in the Unreal Engine.
As a Lead Animator you will...
- Develop character identity and personality through posing, timing, and acting
- Create animation loops and sets from the story, script, or narrative design
- Collaborate with tech art, engineers, and designers in developing creative animation solutions
- Help establish animation pipeline
- Document and create character animation bibles for the dev team to reference
- The ability to manage a team of animators
- Receptive to critique and feedback
- Able to communicate ideas clearly and effectively
- Self-starter willing to find solutions and ask questions when needed
- Attention to detail and a desire to make excellent action games
Skills & Experience:
- Strong knowledge in working with custom character rigs
- Strong knowledge with stylized keyframe animation blended with mocap data
- Two or more shipped games in a Senior + Animator role
- Strong game design and communication skills
- Experience working in or Unreal Engine
Would Love to See:
- Experience animating for action RPG, melee combat systems
- Experience in Iclone, Cascadeur, Rokoko, Motionbuilder
- Plays broadly across multiple games of varied genres
- Works effectively with both both offsite and onsite teams
- Enjoys learning new skills, mentoring others, and fostering positive relationships
- Experience with new technologies such as AI mocap, real-time facial performance capture, etc.
As part of the application process, please provide a portfolio link or work samples with your application so that we can review your work. Your work samples should demonstrate your skill and understanding of animation principles in the context of the animation of bipedal human figures and other organic forms – specifically how these principles can be used to enhance gameplay and in-game feel.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $50,000 - $250,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.