Senior Software Engineer - Player Delivery
Los Gatos, California
Streaming – Streaming Client
Netflix is a global internet video streaming service with over 150 million members in 190 countries. Our members enjoy more than one billion hours of streamed video per week, on over 1000’s of different types of devices. With operating at global scale on thousands of devices comes significant technical complexities to ensure a seamless playback experience for our members. The Player Delivery Team builds foundational pieces to ensure that when a member clicks "play," it works every time. Come join us to build robust solutions in this space.
What sets us apart:
We innovate on delivery orchestration, real-time monitoring derived from millions of player events and analysis on these metrics enabling the client engineers to focus on video playback. We model the player’s release like a product AB test. However, we are constantly evolving our allocation strategy, metrics and inferential analysis to account for the constraints that impact our use case (a presentation based on the work we do). This enables us to frequently ship the streaming player and quickly identify problems in the field. Our delivery infrastructure integrates with Spinnaker to orchestrate frequent player releases. To put simply, our responsibility is to accurately detect regressions while releasing frequently. This exposes us to a plethora of technologies, which makes every single day at work an opportunity to learn something new.
What you will do …
- Effectively collaborate and communicate with internal partner teams on initiatives.
- Identify, design and build infrastructure & metrics that provide actionable insights into customer issues.
- Write software to focus on optimizing existing systems and eliminating work through automation.
If you have…
- 7+ years of relevant software development experience
- BS or MS or PhD in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience
- Analytic skills related to working with large datasets in real-time.
- Object oriented design & programming skills in Java or JVM based language.
If you are interested in…
- Messaging/queuing systems or stream processing systems like Flink, Samza, Spark Streaming, Storm.
- Elasticsearch, Hadoop, Atlas/Druid-like time series data stores
- Descriptive and inductive statistics
… Then you are an individual who can pursue the challenge of continuing to delight our next hundred million customers around the globe. Netflix offers a culture that values freedom and responsibility, enabling us to do our best work. Learn more about life at Netflix and join us!