Manager - Security Data Science and Engineering
Los Angeles, California /
Streaming – Data Science and Engineering /
Netflix is revolutionizing entertainment and shaping the evolution of storytelling around the world. We deliver billions of hours of movies and shows per month to more than 200+ million accounts globally, reaching new audiences every day. Netflix’s cloud infrastructure plays a pivotal role in making the product experience great for its global subscriber base. We are a data-inspired company and we leverage data to make our product and the underlying infrastructure better.
The Security & Platform focused Data Science & Engineering team enables platform and security software engineers to architect, scale and operate cloud infrastructure in a secure, efficient and reliable way and to secure subscribers and devices. We conduct analyses and develop analytic tools, build predictive models and algorithms using machine learning, all with the goal of scaling and securing our infrastructure and subscribers. Check out this blog post to learn more about the area and some of the problems we're working on, and for more about our broader research and analytics work, you can visit the Netflix Research website.
You will lead the Security Data Science and Engineering team, a cross functional team of talented individual contributors with a diverse set of skills across analytics, data engineering, machine learning, modeling and experimentation to help scale data-powered security innovation at Netflix. You'll partner with internal security engineering teams to identify and build data products with an eye toward scaling analytics and access to insights to help improve Netflix's security posture.
What will fill your days
- Recruiting: You are constantly on the lookout for talent and have a knack for recognizing and attracting top-tier engineers to your team. You understand the importance of building an amazing team and the value it brings to the overall company.
- Feedback & Development: You see people’s strengths/weaknesses and are both gifted and courageous in talking with them about it.
- Visionary: You intuitively understand business and technology and you leverage that to guide a team providing relevant context and inspiration.
- Partnership: You establish strong relationships with both business and technical leaders across Netflix.
Character & qualities that will help you succeed
- You’re willing to risk rejection. When you fail, you learn and are willing to try again.
- You’re not afraid of hard conversations and sharing your perspective.
- You’re a natural leader but your team & colleagues see your humility.
- You’re a creative revolutionary, forward thinking, & pro-active.
- You possess a solid sense of business acumen.
- You listen and communicate well.
- You’re allergic to micromanagement. You prefer to give context, delegate, and watch amazing people exceed your hopes and expectations.
- You embrace diversity in the workplace and you strive to seek diverse ideas and opinions.
Who you are
- You likely have a M.S. or Ph.D. in a quantitative field such as Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Physics, Operations Research, etc. Technical publications and ties to academic communities are a plus.
- You have hired and led cross functional data-focused teams comprising of engineers, analysts and scientists with diverse technical strengths.
- You have used big data technologies (i.e. Spark/MapReduce/Hadoop, etc…) at one point in your career and built large scale data pipelines.
- You have a background in one or multiple disciplines including software engineering, data analytics, statistics, modeling and experimentation.
- You have background in building engineering solutions for cybersecurity.
- You have used SQL, Python and some reporting / viz tools at one point in your career.
- You are an advocate for engineering excellence.
At Netflix, we build dream teams to solve real world complex business problems and set high expectations from each team member. Everyone at Netflix cherishes the freedom to innovate, solve interesting problems and influence in a fast paced, exciting environment. Our culture is unique and we strive to live by our values, so it's worth learning more about Netflix culture at jobs.netflix.com.