Counsel, Minors, Immigration, and Diligence - EMEA (London)
London, United Kingdom
Streaming – Content Legal
It's a thrilling time at Netflix as we continue to expand our business globally. With original content offerings streaming in over 190 countries, Netflix is changing the way people around the world enjoy entertainment. Visit our culture memo and long-term view to learn more about our unique Netflix culture as well as the milestones we will achieve in the future.
As we scale our original content in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, the Minors, Immigration, & Diligence (MInD) team is in search of a Counsel or Manager to develop and grow our presence in this region. This will be the first person on the team who will be based in Europe, and they will have the responsibility of advising on and overseeing compliance globally with respect to immigration requirements, child labor laws, and the diligence process for unscripted programming (background checks, psychological evaluations, and medical testing) in a culture that supports judgment and innovation as a key competencies. As a member of the MInD team, this person will be an integral resource for Netflix’s production and legal teams as they navigate a wide-variety of programming, each with its own risks and challenges. This is a demanding and fast-paced role with growth potential that requires working with internal business partners in production, legal, creative, as well as external vendors to assess and make strategic recommendations that consider regional nuances and also support Netflix’s needs for global alignment.
- End-to-end diligence oversight for our unscripted productions in region, including reviewing creative and crafting a diligence/after care plan for each production; reviewing background checks, psychological evaluations, and medical testing; managing and sourcing vendors for the same; liaising with and advising internal and external stakeholders; maintaining databases to help keep all teams aligned.
- Immigration support for Netflix productions in region, including liaising with outside counsel, external production partners, and talent reps; reviewing and, in some cases, preparing immigration documents; and advising key internal stakeholders throughout the visa journey.
- Child labor compliance oversight for all Netflix productions involving minor children, including advising on all applicable child labor regulations and union/guild rules; working with outside counsel and vendors; tracking permits/licenses, all in close partnership with Production HR and other internal teams. In some cases this may include preparation and filing of all necessary child permit/license applications in house.
- Minor court affirmation support to internal Business and Legal Affairs partners, including guidance on which countries allow minors to disaffirm, which countries have provisions by which employers can affirm or ratify contracts, and support throughout the process of affirmation/ratification, including preparation and filing of all necessary documentation.
- We are focused on efficiency and serving the needs of production. Part of that means evolving with the business as it grows exponentially, which will require you to establish innovative processes and workflows and identify areas for improvement.
- We are on an exciting growth journey which involves an expanding slate of international productions. You will be part of a team who works together to understand the relevant legal requirements in various countries, sourcing new vendors, and educating cross-functional partners on the requirements and regulations in these countries.
To be successful:
- You’ve done this before. Meaningful experience with global immigration, unscripted diligence/compliance, and/or child labor guidelines for a network/studio. You regularly exercise great judgment and can articulate sound reasoning for your decisions.
- You have strong attention to detail and an ability to work well with changing information.
- You possess excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and time management skills.
- You are effective and concise in your communications.
- You are a team player who acts with a sense of urgency and adapts to a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- You are resourceful and take the initiative to seek internal and external resources when problem solving.
- Legal qualification optional.
- Must speak fluent English and strong preference for second language fluency in a European or Middle Eastern language.