Senior Manager, Indirect Tax
Los Angeles, California /
Streaming – Tax /
Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service with 231 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, feature films and mobile games across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can play, pause and resume watching as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, and can change their plans at any time.
The Tax Operations team is looking for an experienced Senior Manager to join the team to support US indirect tax. In this role, you will need to be a self-starter who is skillful in communicating with cross-functional business partners with varying backgrounds and levels of experience. A successful candidate will be able to manage complex workflows that involve multiple stakeholders, build strong relationships within Tax and across the Finance and broader organization, and strong verbal and written communication.
This role can be based Los Gatos or Los Angeles and will report directly to the Sr. Director, Tax Operations.
- Lead our US indirect tax team, including tax compliance and tax controversy matters.
- Develop and execute US indirect tax planning strategies.
- Research complex tax issues and prepare technical memos on technical issues and positions.
- Monitor and document pending US indirect tax legislation applicable to Netflix and develop appropriate responses and strategies.
- Communicate US indirect tax law changes to the Global Tax leadership and impacted team leadership.
- Review client and vendor agreements to analyze US indirect tax matters.
- Partner with internal and external stakeholders on recommended approach and risk mitigation/tax planning strategies regarding potential new business ventures or expansion.
- Communicate and present tax findings, potential impact of such findings on structure and other related tax issues with senior leadership and project teams.
- You have 15+ years of US indirect tax technical experience (state income tax is a plus).
- Experience with filmed entertainment or prior studio experience is a plus.
- You have a BS / BA in Accounting or Finance; a CPA/CA/JD is a plus.
- You have experience managing a team.
- You have strong technical expertise in and understanding of multistate tax legislation.
- You have excellent communication (verbal and written).
- You have strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to build and grow relationships with people at all levels of the organization.
- You are experienced in partnering effectively with the broad range of stakeholders.
- You aren’t interested in simply doing what’s been done before.
- You are curious, strategic, and you want to add your own perspective on how we do things to make Netflix even better.
The ideal candidate will work as part of a high-performance culture built around freedom and responsibility. Learn more about our culture here.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $165,000 - $470,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
Due to the nature and scope of this role, we will need to run a background check prior to starting with us.