Senior Content Accountant
Los Angeles, California /
Streaming – Finance Core /
Fueled by the broad appeal of the instantaneous enjoyment of unlimited original and licensed movies and TV shows, Netflix has grown to 232 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, feature films, and games across a wide variety of genres and languages.
Have you ever wondered how we assess and decide how we account for content in our financial statements? Are you curious and looking to contribute to automated workflows for Accounting? Do you enjoy reviewing and analyzing large data that are used in critical business decisions? If yes, we are looking for you to join other stunning colleagues who share a passion to continue to build an expertise in streamed content accounting.
This role provides you the chance to join a team that is committed to transforming and redefining the perception of what entertainment is and how it can be enjoyed through the Netflix service. With continued investment in a slate of content including original productions, content licensing and international expansion, it's a great time for you to join Netflix.
Qualities We're Looking For
- Fundamentals of Accounting - we'd like you to have 6+ years of experience under your belt backed by a bachelor's degree in accounting and/or finance. While not required, it’s preferred you are on track for completion (or already completed) in obtaining a CPA license or a post-graduate degree. Attention to detail + love for data - We pride ourselves on producing high-quality work, scrutinizing important numbers and formulas for accuracy, and using spreadsheets and system data to reconcile accounts and solve problems and questions; we like our accountants to love Excel pivot tables and be unphased by large data sets.
- Enthusiasm and quick learning - Enthusiasm for designing and building new accounting systems and making improvements to existing systems. Prior work with contract review (revenue, leases, or other complex documents), data entry and analysis, research, and other problem-solving tasks is helpful, but we understand you may have not worked in the content accounting space. Industry experience in a studio environment is a plus, but not essential to the position if you are enthusiastic about the position and capable of learning quickly.
- Curiosity and passion - Our team members ask probing questions, challenge the status quo, make changes to improve processes, and have fun while doing it all; positive attitude and never settling for “good enough” are key, along with fitting into our unique company culture.
- Adaptable - You have to be comfortable in an ever-changing eco-system of content, finance and accounting issues and projects.
- You embrace and advocate the Netflix culture and our long-term view.
- Based in our Hollywood office, reporting to the senior management team in Content Accounting.
- Part of the team responsible for the financial integrity of the company's content commitments, assets (capitalization), liabilities (payments), and expenses (amortization).
- Prepare and review monthly accounting entries, reconciliations, CFO metrics, and other ad hoc analyses.
- Management and accounting (in proprietary systems) of content license contracts and produced shows, with a focus on ensuring appropriate accounting by researching guidance.
- Drive process improvements and own projects such as accounting policy review, risk analysis and SOX controls, finance systems design and testing, metrics dashboard and reporting, and more.
- Manage cross-functional relationships with teams outside of Content Accounting, including those across finance and content acquisition organizations.
As Netflix continues its content expansion, the accounting complexity is growing. We face new challenges on a daily basis, and we’re looking for accountants eager to join us!
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $60,000 - $290,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.