Software Engineer (L5) - Dev Spaces
Los Gatos, California /
Streaming – Productivity Engineering /
Location: Los Gatos, CA, or US Remote only
The Dev Spaces team’s mission is to support developer productivity by providing Netflix engineers with on-demand, batteries-included development environments. Through the tight integration of IDEs, dev tooling, cloud workspaces, and Netflix’s internal Platform, our development environments will provide a development experience that guides engineers through the Netflix development lifecycle, minimizes friction, and reduces context switching.
About the role
In this role you'll focus on the deep integration of Jetbrains IDEs with internal Netflix platforms and our local and remote development environment products. With our team having been recently formed, this will be greenfield development that you’ll drive from the beginning.
- Integrating IntelliJ and other Jetbrains IDEs with our fledgling internal remote workspace product. Our goal is to offer a development experience that feels as intuitive and familiar as local development.
- Building tooling, reusable libraries, and processes that make it easier for other teams to write, build, test, and distribute IDE plugins.
- Collaborating with Platform teams to find ways to pull context and guidance into the IDE. For example, automatically providing links to API documentation from sources, advising on patterns and best practices, offering in-IDE flows for federated search or Q&A.
- Establish our engagement model with users and Platform partners.
- You have previously worked on a team that produces tooling for other engineers (IDEs, CLIs, web UIs).
- You have a product-centric mindset that you use to understand the needs of your users. You have the technical and interpersonal skills to collaboratively design the scalable systems and engineering solutions that meet those needs.
- You are comfortable working through ambiguity. This is a greenfield opportunity with many questions to answer.
- You have the communication skills required to collaborate with and influence teams and individuals in order to drive initiatives forward without a strict top-down mandate.
- Nice to have: You have prior experience writing plugins for Jetbrains IDEs (ex: IntelliJ, PyCharm) or extensions for VSCode.
Our culture is unique, and we tend to live by our values, allowing you to do your best work and grow. To learn more about Productivity Engineering, feel free to listen to this podcast.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $100,000 - $700,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.