Data Engineer (L5)
Remote, United States /
Streaming – Data Science and Engineering /
At Netflix, our mission is to entertain the world. With 200+ million paid members in over 190 countries on millions of devices; enjoying TV series, documentaries, and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages - Netflix is reinventing entertainment from end to end. We are revolutionizing how shows and movies are produced, pushing technological boundaries to efficiently deliver streaming video at a massive scale over the internet, and continuously improving the end-to-end user experience with Netflix across their member journey.
We pride ourselves on using data to inform our decision-making as we work towards our mission. This requires curating data across various domains such as Growth, Finance, Product, Content, and Studio. All of this data collection and curation is made possible thanks to the amazing Data Engineers of Netflix who bring this data to life.
Data Engineering at Netflix is a role that requires building systems to process data efficiently and modeling the data to power analytics. These solutions can range from batch data pipelines that bring to life business metrics to real-time processing services that integrate with our core product features. In addition, we require our Data Engineers to have a rich understanding of large distributed systems on which our data solutions rely. Candidates should have knowledge across several of these skill sets and usually need to be deep in at least one. As a Data Engineer, you also need to have strong communication skills since you will need to collaborate with business, engineering, and data science teams to enable a culture of learning. Learn more about the work of data engineers at Netflix.
Location of work: We are considering candidates who are willing to relocate to Los Gatos, California, as well as fully-remote candidates (remote in the US with occasional visits to Los Gatos) depending on the team your skills are most aligned with.
Who are you?
- You strive to write elegant code, and you're comfortable with picking up new technologies independently
- You are proficient in at least one major programming language (e.g. Java, Scala, Python) and comfortable working with SQL
- You enjoy helping teams push the boundaries of analytical insights, creating new product features using data, and powering machine learning models
- You have a strong background in at least one of the following: distributed data processing or software engineering of data services, or data modeling
- You are familiar with big data technologies like Spark or Flink and comfortable working with web-scale datasets
- You have an eye for detail, good data intuition, and a passion for data quality
- You appreciate the importance of great documentation and data debugging skills
- You relate to and embody many of the aspects of the Netflix Culture. You love working independently while also collaborating and giving/receiving candid feedback
- You are comfortable working in a rapidly changing environment with ambiguous requirements. You are nimble and take intelligent risks
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $150,000 - $750,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.