Product Manager, Data Platform - Online Data Stores
Los Gatos, California /
Streaming – Platform Engineering /
It’s an amazing time to be joining Netflix as we continue to transform entertainment. We deliver billions of hours of movies and TV shows per month to more than 220 million members in over 190 countries. At Netflix, we want to entertain the world. To achieve this, we must be able to rapidly build and ship innovative experiences for our members and creators all around the globe.
Within the Platform Engineering organization, our Data Platform exists to maximize the value of data throughout Netflix by improving the productivity and innovation of Netflix engineers, data scientists, machine learning practitioners, and business users. Our Data Platform enables Netflix to scale effectively and evolve rapidly by providing highly performant, secure, compliant, and flexible data infrastructure that supports the expanding needs of the business. Ultimately, we aim to democratize data by making data more accessible and useful to both technical and non-technical employees.
We are looking for a senior technical product manager to help drive the next evolution of our distributed data stores at Netflix. Your mission is to simplify and accelerate data experience at Netflix and offer best-in-class experiences to Netflix software engineers, data engineers, analytics engineers, data scientists, machine learning practitioners, and business users.
Your focus will be our high availability, low latency data stores (e.g. Object Storage, Key Value, Distributed Cache, NoSQL DBs, RDMS, Columnar Data Stores, and Graph Databases) that are used in our member experiences and content production software for our creatives. Examples of the types of opportunities you might tackle include developing data stores that enable new lines of business like Ads and Gaming, managing more for users through higher levels of abstraction, and/or rethinking how we approach global data challenges like privacy, residency, replication, and more. The scope and impact of this role is significant. You'll be responsible for managing a portfolio of products and driving holistic product strategy and prioritization across them.
If you’re looking for a deeply technical and highly dynamic opportunity that will have an outsized impact on the future of data stores at Netflix, we’d love to talk to you!
What You Will Do
- Deeply understand and triangulate across customer needs, product analytics, and external industry innovation to drive product vision and strategy for Data Platform offerings that maximize business and customer impact
- Partner closely with senior management and engineering teams to define and align with stakeholders on vision, strategy, and roadmaps
- Develop product roadmaps in partnership with relevant product and engineering teams that execute product vision and strategy and inform our engineering teams of what problems need to be solved
- Define how we will measure the success and effectiveness of our products and drive the execution and continuous evaluation of those metrics
- Create strong partnerships with Netflix engineering teams to create continuous feedback loops that allow us to better understand their problems
- Ensure we are solving the right problems by sourcing input from multiple channels and prioritizing effectively to drive maximum impact for Netflix
- Ensure that our product evolution thoughtfully addresses product lifecycle and adoption/migration experience and provides clear guidance and recommendations to Netflix data users
- Help evolve Platform Engineering’s customer engagement model, communication strategy, and prioritization and planning/roadmapping practices
What We’re Looking For
- 6+ years of experience as a Technical Product Manager with at least 2+ years of domain experience in data stores
- Proven track record of managing and evolving a product portfolio and/or driving product vision and strategy
- A healthy blend of technical depth, deep domain expertise with a customer-focused mindset
- Demonstrated passion and experience in one or more data stores (e.g Object Storage, Key Value, Distributed Cache, NoSQL DBs, RDMD, Columnar Data Stores, or Graph Databases)
- Strategic thinker that can connect customer use cases to technology solutions and think holistically about the end-to-end experience
- Ability to manage a portfolio of bigger and smaller bets while balancing short-term goals and long-term vision
- Comfortable applying a combination of qualitative and quantitative methods to define success
- Leverages product intuition and judgment to solve problems and make decisions without perfect information
- Insatiable curiosity to learn new domains, keep up with industry innovation, and constantly ask ‘why’
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; timely communication with clear expectations
We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate diversity, recognizing that diversity of thought and background builds stronger teams. We approach diversity and inclusion seriously and thoughtfully. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $90,000 - $900,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.
More About Data Platform @ Netflix