Content Designer, Games Documentation
Remote, United States /
Streaming – Product Design /
We are seeking an experienced Content Designer focused on Game Developer Documentation to work closely with our Netflix Games Developer Platform (NGDP) team, a group made of front-end and backend engineers, product designers, product managers, additional content designers, and other cross-functional partners. The NGDP team works with multiple internal teams to build innovative features that our game developer partners use in their games – such as usernames, leaderboards, push notifications, cloud saves, and more.
As our games effort grows, we’re seeking a full-time Content Designer to lead workstreams in game developer support and documentation, creating a best-in-class experience for how our internal and external game developers ingest all the technical information and requirements needed to implement our unique online services for mobile and cloud games on Netflix.
The ideal candidate will have experience in Content Design/Content Strategy, UX Writing, and Technical Writing, with the ability to multitask while working in a fast-paced, ever-evolving environment. They’ll be self-motivated, proactive, highly organized, and have a steadfast attention to detail. They’ll work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, particularly with engineers, to ingest and synthesize complex technical information. They’ll also be able to prioritize their own work, communicate effectively, and represent their work to key stakeholders. And of course, they’ll have a passion for, and deep knowledge of, games and games development.
- Work closely with the Netflix Game Developer Platform engineers, product managers, and designers to create, synthesize, format, revise, and update the information that game developers need to integrate and use the Netflix Software Development Kit (SDK) and APIs
- Establish the information architecture, the voice & tone, the style guide, and general best practices for the presentation of technical information
- Create a standard workflow for how the information is ingested from Netflix’s games platform engineers and then presented to game developers
- Establish the rubric for how changes to the documentation are communicated to cross-functional Netflix teams, as well as external game developer partners (e.g. release notes for new builds and updates)
- Work closely with the Product Design team to understand the platform features implemented within the Product UI, in order to ensure the relevant context is presented to the game developers in a useful and usable way
- Audit the existing documentation and discover opportunities for improvement and optimization; drive the improvements to implementation through establishing workflows, action items, and collaborative processes
- Initiate, define, and lead new Content Design projects from conception to completion across the games documentation product area
- Define Content Design workflows and parameters for the work to drive discussion and bring to implementation
- Present the Content Design work to key stakeholders, team members, and other Content Designers and Writers for visibility and feedback
- You provide both strategic direction, and hands-on writing/editing
- You’re comfortable working with Netflix’s games platform engineers to ingest and synthesize highly complex information, turning technical jargon into user-friendly content that is consistent and legible for the various audiences in game development (e.g. producers, legal, game engineers, game designers, etc.)
- You’re a storyteller at heart who can craft and orchestrate cohesive narratives across touchpoints to different audiences, including internal Netflix stakeholders and external game developers
- You’re familiar with the development of design systems and language frameworks
- You love a no-holds-barred brainstorm as much as delving into the details; you know how to switch gears between big, fanciful ideas and practical, effective execution
- You communicate productively with visual thinkers and will be comfortable advocating for your point of view in our candid, feedback-driven culture
- 10+ years of relevant writing experience: technical writing, documentation writing, UX writing, content design, information architecture
- Demonstrated experience synthesizing business requirements and technical logic into writing the documentation for shipped products
- Experience working on documentation with an engineering or UX team, and with global brands
- Highly collaborative, organized and self-directed, able to effectively prioritize and respond accordingly to the shifting needs of the team
- Mastery of AP style and the confidence to know when to break the rules
- A positive attitude, especially when faced with changing responsibilities and workflows
- Enthusiasm and passion for games and game development, and helping our game developers bring Netflix Games to members all around the world
- Expertise with games content preferred
Please provide a writing portfolio or relevant writing samples This full-time, salaried position reports to the Content Design Manager for Games.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $80,000 - $550,000.
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here