Product Manager, Consumer Intelligence Algorithms
Los Gatos, California /
Streaming – Product Management Core /
With more than 200 million members in over 190 countries, Netflix continues to shape the future of entertainment around the world. Our product offering is expanding with new plans such as an Ads Tier and new content categories such as Games. While many of our consumers often enjoy being entertained in front of a shared TV screen in communal settings, it is increasingly important we build a holistic and personal view of who our consumers are.
We are looking for a Product Manager to evolve and build new systems that provide intelligence about where our consumers are, who they are, and how they value our product.
What You Will Do:
- You will build out a Netflix Identity Graph that helps us understand who is in front of the screen.
- You have lead the development of similar models that ensure authorized users can access Netflix anywhere and anytime.
- You will consider how our consumer valuation models can inform and drive product experiences, and adapt them to meet the needs of our changing business.
- Leveraging available data, you will craft and communicate a strategic roadmap and see to its execution leading cross-functional teams of the industry’s best data scientists, machine learning and software engineers.
- You will partner closely with our Identity PMs to build the intelligence that drives important consumer experiences. You will collaborate with product partners in Ads, Growth, Security and Personalization to ensure the tools you build can be leveraged by them.
- As a high-leverage thought leader, you will have the ability to shape our thinking on how to evolve our product, and have a massive impact on how members enjoy our service.
What We Offer
- The opportunity to have impact. The Netflix product management model is different from most technology companies. Our key product management leaders - including this position - work with multiple sprint teams but do not have direct reports. Consequently, we’re looking for experienced product leaders who are strategic and also like rolling up their sleeves.
- Responsibility. Netflix offers true transparency and autonomy. Our culture is unique and is key to how we innovate.
- Learning. You will be creating customer experiences and business models that have never been done before. You will have the opportunity to work with stunning colleagues who value collaboration and from whom you can learn.
- A work environment where you can grow your career. Many of our top execs started out as individual contributors.
Who will be successful in this role?
- You combine a deep technical background in e.g. statistics, econometrics, machine learning with a strong product sense and excellent communication skills to define, explain and execute your vision.
- You naturally gravitate towards experimentation as a way to validate your hypotheses while having a healthy skepticism when interpreting experimental results
- You are able to work with world-class engineers, have the statistical acumen to collaborate with top-notch data scientists, the communication skills to translate the implications of that work to less technical partners, and the business sense to drive product. You can balance technical rigor with less quantifiable topics, like privacy.
- You are comfortable thinking about how the products you build affect Netflix consumers and how other Netflix product teams can leverage the tools you build.
- You balance both Consumer and Platform product thinking.
- You build partnerships with other product managers, both working in your space and leveraging your product platform.
- Experience managing products leveraging machine learning or inference (e.g. recommendation systems, knowledge graphs) with a proven record of prioritizing and successfully launching impactful products or platforms.
- Demonstrated leadership experience working effectively with data scientists, machine learning engineers, statisticians, etc.
- Proven ability to map algorithmic solutions to product problems with demonstrated impact on business metrics.
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to present technical content to non-technical audiences. Ability to partner with different functions to ensure that your solutions drive real business impact.
- Strategic thinking and ability to incorporate larger business context into algorithms and product development.
- Postgraduate education (MS or PhD) in an applied quantitative field is strongly preferred, such as: Machine Learning, Statistics, Operations research, Information theory, Control theory, Econometrics, etc.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $200,000 - 700,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.