Lead Engineer, Games Studio
Los Angeles, California /
Gaming – Gaming /
Netflix is building a new internal game studio to incubate and build an exciting new 3rd person action RPG.
The Lead Engineer will partner closely with the Creative Director and assemble a new core game team to rapidly prototype and iterate towards a new game vision. The role is envisioned as one that will start as a core contributor for a small team to enable rapid prototyping. It will then grow into the engineering lead on a full game team to launch and support the game on the Netflix game service.
The ideal candidate should have game prototyping experience, and have gameplay and design sensibilities, while being able to implement in the short term and bring industry-leading technical expertise as the product matures, looking forward to larger engineering, architecture and technology selection.
You’ll be joining a small, scrappy team with big ambitions, and an obsession to create memorable game moments that leave players telling their own stories for years to come. We’re looking for new teammates who care deeply about the experiences they create and the people they make them with. Those who bias towards action and are energized by the learning that comes with bold experimentation at an agile pace. As a part of Netflix, we strive to hire the best and value integrity, excellence, respect, inclusion, and collaboration.
Now is an amazing time to join Netflix Game Studio as we seek to entertain our 200 million paid members in a really new way.
- Games development: Experimenting and prototyping combat interactions, with an eventual goal of providing close-camera high-fidelity melee combat. Ideally, the successful candidate will have deep experience in bipedal animation, combat, and interactions with other bipeds and environments. Our new stunning colleague’s initial goal will be to convert design ideas into a rapid prototyping controls and anticipate places where flexibility is needed and assumptions can be made to shortcut implementation.
- Development Tooling: Identifying and building easy to use frameworks that enables designers and artists to enable rapid iteration. Easy creation and modifications of mechanic, camera, and control variations is key.
- Technical Leadership: Leading the team to make technology and architecture decisions for both prototyping and a successful future final product. Ideally, experience and comfort with shifting and in-progress technologies and platforms.
- Team Leadership: Able to work across disciplines with minimum process to organize work and create predictability in an unpredictable space.
- People Management: Hire, build and manage this small, senior, multi-discipline team and ensure team focus and health.
- 7+ years experience shipping multiple AAA, casual or mobile games, especially live
- Experience prototyping and shipping one or more titles as a Lead Engineer, splitting time hands-on and supporting people as a manager, with a focus on excellent player experience
- Deep experience in character animation, especially as it applies to close-camera 3rd-person games
- Exceptional communication, cross discipline collaboration and leadership skills
- Familiarity with UnrealEngine
- Passion for incubating, building, and shipping video games
- Strong product/design sense
- Strong understanding of lightweight production/team process
- Experience working with early or unreleased game platforms
- Full stack/backend services expertise
- Los Angeles preferred (as the product needs demand).
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $150,000 - $500,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.