Software Engineer (L4) - TVPlayer
Los Gatos, California /
Streaming – Client UI Engineering /
The Netflix App runs on millions of CE devices - everything from smart TVs and streaming sticks to game consoles and set top boxes. Ever wonder how we bring innovative playback experiences to these devices? Embedded inside our app is a world-class streaming video player that dynamically updates to bring the best streaming experience to different devices by adapting to their varying capabilities.
Who We Are
The TVPlayer team sits at the nexus of a diverse set of innovative activities.
Some of these include expanding our product with new features such as interactive videos, ident innovations, ads supported playback, and live streaming along with increasing reach for new encodes on TV devices while optimizing our streaming algorithms through AB testing. We partner with many other teams at Netflix including UI, Encoding, Streaming Algorithms and Open Connect. Our team comes from diverse backgrounds with a wide range of expertise in embedded systems, networking, streaming media playback, content protection, CI automation, data analysis and software engineering. We are innovating fast and it is an exciting time to join the team to bring new playback features to delight our members.
Who You Are
We are looking for an engineer who can partner with us in building new player features to delight our TV members. In this role, you would be responsible for developing new product features, conducting experiments to validate features to work well on a diverse set of devices, improve streaming quality by increasing reach for new/optimized Audio Video encodes via A/B tests, and strengthen our automation to ensure our releases do not disrupt member experience.
More about you:
- 3+ years of software development experience with streaming media playback and/or developing software to manage audio video playback on devices.
- Proven ability to communicate complex technical issues cross-functionally
- Can rethink existing designs and rebuild as needed.
- Solid understanding of embedded systems
- Knowledge of adaptive streaming technologies MPEG DASH, HLS, HTML5 MSE and EME is a big plus.
- Experience with shipping software at scale is a big plus
- Experience developing software on SmartTV’s, SetTop boxes or Streaming sticks is a big plus
To Learn More:
- Read about the Netflix culture which values freedom and responsibility, enabling us to do our best work.
At Netflix, we carefully consider a wide range of compensation factors to determine your personal top of market. We rely on market indicators to determine compensation and consider your specific job family, background, skills, and experience to get it right. These considerations can cause your compensation to vary and will also be dependent on your location.
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $100,000 - $700,000
This market range is based on total compensation (vs. only base salary), which is in line with our compensation philosophy. Netflix is a unique culture and environment. Learn more here.